Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is a set of videos i found on youtube that show how to replace the front hubs on a 7th gen impala. videos are always a good addition to write ups. :biggrin:

PART 1

PART 2

Here is the text version:

REMOVAL
1. Remove the hubcap or wheel cover from wheel.
2. use impact gun or large breaker bar with 36mm socket (could be different size with different years and/or models) to remove the axle nut.
3. loosen the lug nuts, but do not remove them all the way. just simply break them loose.
4. raise the vehicle and support it correctly with jackstands. for proper jack points, see your owners manual or a haynes manual.
5. remove the lugnuts and wheel/tire from vehicle.
6. compress the caliper piston by inserting a large flathead screwdriver in the caliper window and pushing the innermost brake pad toward the inside of the vehicle. if you do not feel comfortable using this method, you may also use a large c-clamp to compress the piston.
7. remove the 15mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle and the whole caliper assembly should come off as one unit. ***DO NOT LET THE CALIPER HANG BY THE BRAKE LINE***support the caliper by hanging a piece of wire in there somewhere and attaching it to the caliper, or find something to safely set it on. you do not want to put stress on your brake lines by stretching them out.
8. pull the rotor off the hub.
9. unplug the wheel speed sensor connector from the hub.
10. remove the three bolts on the backside of the knuckle that hold the hub on. i believe these are 13mm.
11. use a puller and remove the hub from the knuckle. you may also try the method shown in the video, which requires an air chisel and hammer.
12. now that the hub is removed, make sure there are no pieces of the old hub left behind in the knuckle, and if so, remove as needed. also, set the thin metal shield plate aside, as you will have to install it on the new hub and make sure you note its orientation on the knuckle.

INSTALLATION
13. use some high temp grease to lube the splines of the axle, then put the three knuckle bolts back in their holes and put the thin metal shield plate that holds the clip for the sensor back in its place. you may also want to put some threadlocker on the 3 knuckle bolts.
14. install the new hub and tighten down the three knuckle bolts to 96 ft lbs.
15. install the rotor and put the caliper assembly back on. you may need to compress the piston again to make sure it fits back over the rotor.
16. install the axle nut, and tighten it down to seat the axle in the hub. you may find it helpful to insert a screwdriver through the caliper and into a rotor cooling vane, to keep the axle from turning while you are trying to tighten the nut down.
17. install the wheel, lower the vehicle and torque the lugnuts to 100 ft lbs.
18. torque the axle nut to 159 ft lbs.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
this is a set of videos i found on youtube that show how to replace the front hubs on a 7th gen w-body. videos are always a good addition to write ups. :biggrin:
Are you able to do the write ups for these? Great videos, simple explanation.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i can do a write up, i just wont have pics to go with it. these should also work on the 8th gen as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first post updated with text.

if anyone sees anything wrong or something i missed, please let me know so i can edit the post and provide the best information.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If someone really needed still pics to do this job, they could always 'print screen' while watching the video... unless youtube doesn't allow that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where can I get those flange bolts?

Does anyone know where I can get replacement flange bolts that hold the hub on? You know, the three with the built in washer? I cannot find them anywhere.

Thanx
Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Best check with the dealer for this. If you have one of the bolts you could try your local Home Depot or Lowes. Be sure that the ones you replace them with is the same or higher grade material. Do not use general purpose bolts. I believe you will need grade 9.? or 10.? for this application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bolt source

Yes I have checked with one dealer and they told me that they only come with a new hub. I also tried numerous auto parts stores as well as home depot and Lowes.

Ugh.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
bill - goto a u pull junkyard, they'll have a few w-bodies that should work, as far as only w/ the hub, none of my hubs have some w/ replacement bolts, try another dealer see what they say, chances are that dealer had no idea/was to lazy to know wtf you were talking about. Hopefully Blu will chime in w/ a p/n

write up :
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Assembly-Replacement/index.html

for some reason my axle nut was 34mm though

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes I have checked with one dealer and they told me that they only come with a new hub. I also tried numerous auto parts stores as well as home depot and Lowes.

Ugh.
The part number for the bolt is 18022052. Hope this helps you out. It drives me nuts to see how lazy some people are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found a solution

Thanx for all the replies guys. I did find a similar used bolt at a local repair shop (junkyards are not longer close to here).

Anyhow, I decided to go with an allen head bolt with all other specs the same (actually a higher grade) which should alleviate any issue with getting socket around the head.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 06 ss and im doing the hubs this weekend but cant find anywhere what size socket i pulled wheel to check and closest i could come to was a 34mm but very sloppy could it be a 33mm ? i cant find that size any where but didnt want to buy it with out knowing for sure. thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
When I did this on the wife's car I just rented the socket set from Advance Auto. Most of the big chains have tool rental programs where you pay for the tool and get a full refund when you return it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i have a 06 ss and im doing the hubs this weekend but cant find anywhere what size socket i pulled wheel to check and closest i could come to was a 34mm but very sloppy could it be a 33mm ? i cant find that size any where but didnt want to buy it with out knowing for sure. thanks for any help.
Ive seen it vary between a 32-36mm... I did mine w a 34mm and it was a LITTLE sloppy, prob couldve used a 33mm but couldnt find one, ans 32 was too small

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have a 36 impact socket, its very sloppy, but it and the nut are both hard enough that it works anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got it done found 33mm socket at autozone for 15.00 fit perfect. now if i can figure out why traction control kicks on when i turn left when i barley start moving?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plan for the unexpected

The front tires were wearing badly on my daughters 04 impala. I found that both wheels had too much play in them when rocked at 12 and 6 oclock. I found a very good youtube vid on the replacement of the hubs on an 02 impala but unlike the hubs on that non snow belt car the ones on my project car were frozen on. I didn't think I would ever get them off and was tempted to give up but after a good hour of work on each of them with a good hub puller I borrowed from advance auto I was finally able to work them off. (don't bother trying to use a cheap puller). I read that heating them can be helpful but I didn't have my torch with me. Instead I resorted to pounding on the puller with a 3lb sledge. I also shot some pbblaster around the splines along with a shot of air from my compressor. I don't know if this helped or not but after repeated attempts the hubs finally gave up and came off. If you have to use a puller make sure you grease up the tip that goes on the spindle or it will actually start to drill it's way into it.

A couple more tips: Don't even think about using a 12 point socket on any of the bolts, use a 6 point. Always make sure the socket is tightly seated on the bolt. Turning the wheel in or out can help you get to the various bolts.

I bought a set of metric deep well sockets for the hub nut but I found a 32 mm to be too small and the next size up, a 34mm seemed a bit sloppy. It would've worked but I found that an 1 5/16 to be a tighter fit. As far at the torque setting I couldn't find a definitive source online. The spec ranged anywhere from 118 pounds to 159lbs. It seems that different year impalas have different specs and even those aren't consistent. I decided to use the 118 spec given on the youtube vid for the 2002 impala hub install. Too loose isn't good but too tight can make them wear too quickly. I found the wheels to have zero play in them at 118lbs so I think I'm good. I'll check them again after 1000 miles.

I was disappointed that the new hubs didn't fix the abs/traction light issue but the front end of the car is as tight as new now. I'm looking to find a decent and reasonably priced abs scanner to track down where the problem is.

Hope these tips can help you out with your hub replacement. It was a real bear of a job for me but I have no regrets on doing it myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts