Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Impala and have noticed some light thump as I start to go forward from a stop. I've turned the steering back and forth while rolling but can't make it repeat the noise. I also pushed/pulled each wheel jacked slightly of the ground, they both feel tight.
It only seems to happen on starting up going forward.

Any ideas ???

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Check the motor and tranny mounts, one may be loose or bad. Also check the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
657 Posts
could also be the intermediate steering shaft, get it checked out. could just need some white lithium grease in there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
no, i believe they still use grease. when this problem first started showing up in the w-bodys, they were just pulling out the ISS and replacing it. but then they started realizing that it was just going to do it again, so they stopped replacing them and GM now has a lubrication kit to fix the ISS problem which is basically a syringe full of white lithium grease. unless you mean the ISS for the 06+ models, which i dont know about.

·
Registered
557 Posts
no, they completely redesigned it only for the impala this is the new GM part number 19179923 as of March 27th 2008
(PS I work for a GM dealer, this is straight from GM) I've used the grease kit, it works for about 6 months and then you get a comeback

·
Registered
657 Posts
how much does it run? you have a diagram of what it looks like and what is different?

·
Registered
557 Posts
The bulletin doesn't show a picture, but I've actually seen them. I'll ask my parts guy about how much the new shaft is, and I'll let you know. But the new shaft is totally different now, it has large rubber rings on the coupler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts