Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .91 Chevy Caprice Wagon with a bent front tie rod and minor wear and tear to the idler arm. So I'm going to replace them first chance I get, but my problem I was having is getting the front end realigned. The car has a 4" drop all the way around on it and you people that know about the 91's know that the rear tire fender well hangs over the rear tire. Well now that its lowered I have been trying to find a way to get it aligned with only half the tire showing.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
why would you say only half the tire thats for the rear???:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would you say only half the tire thats for the rear???:confused:
Well the reason I say that is that the rear tire fender is hung over the rear tires in the 91-93 model not in the 94-96. The newer alignment machines are 4 point alignments any were you go. This requires "spiders" laser actuator thingies that attach to each rim but with half of my rim covered by half of the fender well I can't get it done because of this. I've taken it to our local auto shop to get it done including Chevy house and have been told by all of them "good luck". So that is why I say this. I need to find a way to get the alignment done with either just the front wheels or to find a way to get the 4 laser guided arms on the rims.

This is what I'm talking about is lowered from stock by 4" drop on the car

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
oic i get it now :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
In October I took my van to a local Good Year shop and they did the alignment with an older machine and only the front tires. Your car has a solid rear axle, in most cases not much is done with them during an alignment. You might try your local Good Year store.

The newer cars with the independent floating rear axles are the ones that need 4 wheel alignments done.

Another suggestion though it will cost you a little more is have them unmount the lower side of the rear shocks and lift the body up so that they can hook up their machine and when complete lower the body and reattach the shocks. They may not guarantee their work though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts