Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guy's,

I have a two part question and a suspension problem with my 02 Impala Ls, Every time i drive and hit bumps there's a clunking noise coming from my left driver's side wheel area:WTF:, I don't hear any kind of noises when turning corners or from the left passenger side and i also would like to know when buying suspension part's for our Impala's do i buy the control arm, ball joint and bushing's in a complete kit or they sold separately:dunno:? The clunk, clunk, clunking noise is driving me nut's...:dizzy:...lol! Any idea's where the clunking noise could be coming from...:cool:, Thank's again guy's:eek:k3:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
shock, sway bar just about anything jack up front end take off tire and give it a really good check out

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Check the sway bar end links, their cheap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's guy's...I'll definitely take off the wheel's tomorrow and take a good look at all my suspension parts:eek:k3:!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Keep us updated

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front end clunking noise solved

What's up guy's i took the wheels off my Impala today and solved my strange front end clunking noises, I checked all my suspension parts...Control arm assembly, Sway bar end links, bushing's and Tie rods. Everything looked good but the noise was actually from a loose brake caliper:gaah:, After checking every part i noticed i was missing a caliper bolt and the one bolt that was holding the caliper in place was very loose:cool:....I went to 3 different auto parts store's and couldn't find that exact bolt so i decided to go to home depot and they had the exact bolt that i needed, I bolted up everything and so far so good:eek:k3:. I did notice my outer tie rod ends are in need of replacing and will be doing that job this weekend, I want to thank you guy's for all the help and advice...:beer:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I had the same problem finding caliper bracket bolts, Glad you got if fixed!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I had the same problem finding caliper bracket bolts, Glad you got if fixed!
Me also. Had the front right top caliper bolt fall out on me twice. First time I went to menards and bought 2 (luckily) replacement bolts. Of course it was the top bolt so, when I hit the brakes the caliper shifted forward and locked up my wheel. Luckily it didn't snap the other bolt, destroy my caliper, or my wheel (scratched it to hell but, easily fixed with paint). B/c of this I had my car towed both times back to the house. I believe the bolts are 14mmx40mm. Menards only had 14x45 so, I had to use a few washers, no big deal. You wont find the bolts anywhere else besides a dealer or the junkyard. I have since put thread locker on all caliper bolts and tightened them until I nearly popped a blood vessel in my forehead :giggle: Guess what the front caliper bolts are supposed to be torqued to? 133-148ft lbs :yikes:

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I never use a torque bar. They just get put on real tight.

I would suggest thread locker like g25 said if this is a common problem with the 7th gens

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I never use a torque bar. They just get put on real tight.

I would suggest thread locker like g25 said if this is a common problem with the 7th gens
Technically, if you don't torque these bolts down it could cause premature brake pad and rotor wear as one side of the caliper could be closer or farther away than the other. It always best to keep everything consistent :eek:k3: Although I don't torque these bolts b/c I don't have a torque wrench yet. And I have lifetime pads/rotors so, whatever. And really how many people or shops torque down bolts (calipers, lugs, suspension parts) these days? Not many

A good shop torques down lug nuts :hope: Whether with a torque stick or wrench

It all depends on how often you change or remove the calipers as to how the problem could arise. The more you remove it the more wear you create on the bolts and mounts. More wear = less holding power. I always use thread locker now

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are the bolts from the hardware store any different than the bolts from the dealership? I'm going to guess that the bolts from the dealership are hardened/heat treated.....

You may want to look into that, as the brakes are always heating up and cooling off with use.

Also, a good 1/2 in. and 3/8 in. torque wrench are great to have around for all your needs!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Are the bolts from the hardware store any different than the bolts from the dealership? I'm going to guess that the bolts from the dealership are hardened/heat treated.....

You may want to look into that, as the brakes are always heating up and cooling off with use.

Also, a good 1/2 in. and 3/8 in. torque wrench are great to have around for all your needs!
I bought black heat treated bolts from menards and have not had any issues in the 5-6months of using them. Have checked the tightness since and they have not loosened any, that I can tell.

Yes a 1/4 inch/lb and 1/2 ft/lb torque wrench are on my list for income taxes

I am going with a gearwrench 1/4" and Mountain 1/2" torque wrench's

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having a clunk noise on my 01 impala on my driver side as well. I replaced every mount and it seemed like the clunck got worse (maybe because the motor wasn't moving anymore). My sway bar was broke so I ripped it out and the clunk went away while I hit the brakes but I'm still dealing with the clunk when I go in reverse or accelerate from a stop. Any advice would be awesome.

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
nice! :) I went w/ Duralast brand for my 1/2" drive torque wrench and can't think of what kind I got w/ the 3/8" drive.
I got the ones from Harbor Freight! They go on sale all the time. Not the best, I know. But they get the job done!

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
I'm having a clunk noise on my 01 impala on my driver side as well. I replaced every mount and it seemed like the clunck got worse (maybe because the motor wasn't moving anymore). My sway bar was broke so I ripped it out and the clunk went away while I hit the brakes but I'm still dealing with the clunk when I go in reverse or accelerate from a stop. Any advice would be awesome.

Have you checked your struts and the mounts by chance?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts