Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know where there is a free driving school, near vegas !! my son bought a new zr1 corvette and gm pays, for the school, when buying this model vette.. i really think this is a good idea,where else can you let 638 horses , out and have fun..i have a 2007 zo6, and when we did factory museum pickup for zr1 , there is no way to safety drive these corvettes on the street !! i think all kids getting their drivers license, should go through some kind of drivers school, may save lives in the end.... rkvette

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04detroitls- thanks,this will be only impala site i will be on ..!!!! speaking of that free driving school that gm pays for the owner of new zr1.. here are some of the costs ... new zr1/$120,000/$10,000 over sticker hard to get at the time.. tax/$7,200, shipping back to our home $3,000... flights to nashville /rental car/hotel stay in that beautifull grand old opry, etc.. $140,000 plus !! their is no such thing ,as a free ride .... rkvette

·
Registered
277 Posts
The best free driving school is a knowlegeable driver sitting next to you while you push your car, and yourself to the limits on an abandoned parking lot.

Don't get me wrong... driving schools can be great if you can afford them, and you have the intrest and time. I would love to attend a school someday... but it just isn't in the cards for me yet.

Meanwhile....

Most people would be best off (since they lack the time, money or intrest) just learning the limits of their own car, and their own ability, with someone who has a clue sitting next to them to prevent any bozo no-no's and to offer solid advice. This will pay off in better driving in the rain, the snow and on the road in general.... and last time I looked.... a lot of people could use it.

Even basic things like weight transfer, tire adhesion, panic stops can be explored with one of the biggest risks being a part breakage or a tow-bill, which is modest in comparison to the bills from an accident, a collision or heaven forbid a lost life because you push the limits on the road, instead of in safe place.

If you are a "numbers" kind of guy/gal that likes to keep a record and improve your car and your driving... buy a cheap G-Tech and keep a journal.
G-TECH/Pro Homepage

If you are more serious, step up to a full data logger:
Racing Data Logger & Dash Display Suppliers
or
Automotive Data Loggers
etc....

I am not a legal eagle, and have been known to participate in a street race or a road race at times (usually at night in rural areas where long range visibility is not an issue).... but, I have at least done as much as I can to prepare for the worst with the safety of others in mind and a rational perspective on what I am doing.

Racing is great... adrenaline is great... fast cars rock at full tilt.... but all require life to be enjoyed, so don't be careless and rob your chance, or anothers to do the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I learned to drive by having a single tire drive gokart when we were kids. Lots of fun on wet grass, ice, packed snow and slow enough we didn't get hurt when we lost control.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
I learned on a golf cart in the field behind our summer home in MI. Fun times. Then, when it came to drivers ed, got 1 off the written test. I only did 30 mins of driving outside of drivers ed when I had my temps. Then at license road test....I got 0 off. High honor among students, very rare. In fact, nobody (out of 263 students at my school alone) have gotten 0 off. I think the instructor said like 5 people had gotten it since they started. :) I am a very good driver, if I say so myself and very safe and only sometimes indulge into the 3800's power! ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I too like to find an empty parking lot during winter season. Even here in TX we don't get much snow where I live but when it does we can get 3-9 inches at once. Makes for some fun with most of these drivers who don't know how to drive on the stuff. I have taken most of my vehicles to empty parking lots during foul weather to learn more about them and what it takes to loosen the grip and bring it right back under control. One of the manuvers I do is the figure 8 turning. It is amazing at how fast at slow speed you can get the back of the vehicle to swing out and then have fun getting it back under control. To me this alone will help many winter driver's improve their skill. I recommend doing it with each of your vehicles especially if you have more than one type such as pickup, van, and/or car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts