Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. New member here. I'm upgrading my stereo system, 2006 LS, and I'm looking to add an 8" kicker free air sub for a little extra low end.
I did some searching and don't see that anybody has tried a single 8" sub back there. The sub is 100w rms, and it will be powered by a small bass amp that's rated at 60w rms, but is probably closer to 100.
Anyway, I'd like to mount it where the cutout is for the factory amp would be. I've already cut a piece of 3/4inch mdf outlined to the cutout.
Has anybody actually tried something like this with a smaller sub like this? Would it sound good? Again, I'm not looking for a lot of boom, just a little, and to save some space. Thanks for any help!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I have seen it done with much larger and higher output subs. But, with that low of power and for an 8" I would have some sort of enclosure. Enclosure = more pressure + deeper sound

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input g25. I guess I was mainly asking about if the metal panel itself was strong enough or if it was too flimsy and would shake loose or something. Or give some weird vibrations. I guess if it can hold 15s then my 8 should be fine. Not really looking for pounding bass, just some low end that my 6x9s are missing. Thanks again!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Oh yeah that panel should handle it just fine. If you notice the sub not hitting/sounding right then, I would add some sort of small enclosure around it, if possible. You'd be surprised at how different it would sound. :eek:k3:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts