Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 1968 2-door fastback. Serious rust in the rear quarters and a good amount in the front too. I am saving it because it is the exact same car my father had in High school. It took me 9 months to find it and I found it by mistake. I pulled it from a field in Wyoming and trailered it to Nebraska and then I moved to Idaho. I am finally able to start working on it. I ran the numbers on the Engine, Trans and rearend and they are all the numbers matching for my car. Right now I need to find new rear quarters and new front fenders. Also if anyone knows of someone who makes door skins I need a passenger side door skin. I am also needing a list of cars that I can steal the brake systems off of for right now because My fiance wants to drive away in the Impala, no matter what shape it is in. That gives me 11 months to get as much done as I can and still get it running. I have a 350/350 combo to drop in it for right now until I can finish the rebuild on the 327/PG that are the original. Any help on what cars have basicly the same parts would be helpful because there are several junk yard around here with older cars, sadly no imps. Please help if you can or leave your thoughts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great find, numbers matching cars are getting harder to find. Hey I found this company a while back and ordered some hard to find parts from these guys. Check this site out and see if it may help out.
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/
There are a ton of companies that supply new body panels, just google it. Original Parts Group, Paddock, Year one and the list goes on. :smile:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey just one other thing to think about when diggin into your car. With the comment of serious rust in the rear quarters make sure to check out the rear body mounts as well. I had to replace the ones in my 64 after noticing stress cracks. Just thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah luckly all of my rust is in the exterior only. My floors and pans are in great shape. So far all the mounts and everthing have turned out to be in great shape too. When pulling the car out of the ditch it was in it slid and smashed the entire passenger side tearing holes in the body. then it sat for 2 years on my granpas farm...outside so that is what caused most of the body rust. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well if youre doing an actual frame off restoration make sure you have the room and pull the frame 1st. remove all engine and suspension parts then have it blasted and either painted or powder coated. then do the same with your suspension parts and while thats happening you should have plenty of time to get your engine rebuilt as planned and start on the body work. just be sure to weld in the braces when you lift the body off the fram to prevent it from tweeking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts