Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought a 2014 LTZ with the 2LZ which has forward collision alert. However it’s not working. The camera recognizes the car in front with the green light on the dash. However no alert when you get too close. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi all. I bought a 2014 LTZ with the 2LZ which has forward collision alert. However it’s not working. The camera recognizes the car in front with the green light on the dash. However no alert when you get too close. Any ideas?

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new, with the forward collision alert system. Mine does not have the optional forward emergency braking system.

Read your vehicle owner’s manual.

The forward collision alert system will only alert (loud beeping and a read light flashing into the left windshield base from the miniature HUD in the dash) under certain circumstances, which involve a certain speed, distance and lack of (or minimal) braking.

It will not alert if you get too close to a vehicle in front of you at slow speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new, with the forward collision alert system. Mine does not have the optional forward emergency braking system.

Read your vehicle owner’s manual.

The forward collision alert system will only alert (loud beeping and a read light flashing into the left windshield base from the miniature HUD in the dash) under certain circumstances, which involve a certain speed, distance and lack of (or minimal) braking.

It will not alert if you get too close to a vehicle in front of you at slow speeds.

Hi. Thanks for replying. Having read the manual I am pretty certain I get how it works. However, after watching a few videos online, there is supposed to be a way to turn the system off through the mylink-vehicle-collision avoidance settings on my link. The option to do that is not there. It shows no forward collision option.
I just have that green car in the dash when driving.
If you thinks that’s normal, then do you know a way to test it? Besides driving up on a driver at I assume a high speed. Having tried that nothing happened and not sure if I want to push getting too close. Lol.
The reason I would like to have it working is we have a teenage driver. Just trying to add safety.

Thanks
LRJ

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi. Thanks for replying. Having read the manual I am pretty certain I get how it works. However, after watching a few videos online, there is supposed to be a way to turn the system off through the mylink-vehicle-collision avoidance settings on my link. The option to do that is not there. It shows no forward collision option.
I just have that green car in the dash when driving.
If you thinks that’s normal, then do you know a way to test it? Besides driving up on a driver at I assume a high speed. Having tried that nothing happened and not sure if I want to push getting too close. Lol.
The reason I would like to have it working is we have a teenage driver. Just trying to add safety.

Thanks
LRJ

Our system has always been “on” - I don’t think we ever turned it off.

I read our vehicle owner’s manual (sections 9-48 through 9-51) and it has specific instructions on how to turn the system on or off.

Perhaps read your manual and ignore the online videos to see if you can find the feature.

Do you have the camera on the inside of the windshield, behind the mirror - and the mini head-up display on the driver side of the dash (near the windshield base)?

I recall teaching my two sons to drive - and worrying about their driving when they eventually went out on their own in the vehicle. I wish you luck and patience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our system has always been “on” - I don’t think we ever turned it off.

I read our vehicle owner’s manual (sections 9-48 through 9-51) and it has specific instructions on how to turn the system on or off.

Perhaps read your manual and ignore the online videos to see if you can find the feature.

Do you have the camera on the inside of the windshield, behind the mirror - and the mini head-up display on the driver side of the dash (near the windshield base)?

I recall teaching my two sons to drive - and worrying about their driving when they eventually went out on their own in the vehicle. I wish you luck and patience.

Maybe I am not explaining my situation correctly. Attached is a video. At the one minute mark he explains the green car light. He then explains how it goes from green-yellow-red. Mine never goes from green to anything. Just off. Have set the distances on the steering wheel and tested it. Nothing.
I have the camera, I have what is supposed to be the hud. However I have no idea if the hud works because it doesn’t ever light up.

https://youtu.be/6fMZJi45lCQ

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Maybe I am not explaining my situation correctly. Attached is a video. At the one minute mark he explains the green car light. He then explains how it goes from green-yellow-red. Mine never goes from green to anything. Just off. Have set the distances on the steering wheel and tested it. Nothing.
I have the camera, I have what is supposed to be the hud. However I have no idea if the hud works because it doesn’t ever light up.

https://youtu.be/6fMZJi45lCQ

My wife usually drives the Impala - the next time I do, I’ll check the settings. I don’t drive her car often, so it may be a little while - but I’ll report back via this thread.

I watched your video, but don’t recall the display for the green-yellow-red vehicle alert. Perhaps if you scroll through the various settings, you can find it to be displayed. My wife leaves the MPH display on in the center of the dash.

I have been riding with my wife once or twice when the alert sounded. It really gets your attention quickly.

I would suggest again using the manual to review the settings, to ensure everything is set the way you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife usually drives the Impala - the next time I do, I’ll check the settings. I don’t drive her car often, so it may be a little while - but I’ll report back via this thread.

I watched your video, but don’t recall the display for the green-yellow-red vehicle alert. Perhaps if you scroll through the various settings, you can find it to be displayed. My wife leaves the MPH display on in the center of the dash.

I have been riding with my wife once or twice when the alert sounded. It really gets your attention quickly.

I would suggest again using the manual to review the settings, to ensure everything is set the way you want.

Ok thank you. Also please loot at your Mylink-settings-vehicle-forward collision option to turn on or off the system from there.

I am starting to suspect the camera is bad on my car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the lane change alarm work? That would tell you if the camera was working or not.

Yes. That does. From all the parts break down I do not see any other sensors for the forward collision alert. Unless I am missing something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From all the research I have done, the camera is the only sensor for the Forward Collision Alert. For some reason, mine is not working correctly and not alerting when I get to close to a vehicle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From all the research I have done, the camera is the only sensor for the Forward Collision Alert. For some reason, mine is not working correctly and not alerting when I get to close to a vehicle.

The forward collision alert also has 3 sensitivity settings. You might be on the lowest sensitivity. I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about when I get out of my ACLS recertification.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ok thank you. Also please loot at your Mylink-settings-vehicle-forward collision option to turn on or off the system from there.

I am starting to suspect the camera is bad on my car.

I didn’t forget about your post.......

I drove my wife’s 2014 Impala 2LTZ today. The forward collision warning system (not automatic forward braking) can be turned off, or set to three different sensitivity settings (low, medium and high) via a button on the left side of the steering wheel horn pad. After adjusting the system, which brings up a display in the center DIC, it returns to the preset DIC display after several seconds.

I used the MyLink display - going to vehicle settings. Under “vehicle collision and detection systems” - there was no listing for the forward collision system. Only rear cross traffic and blind spot detection was available.

My only suggestion is to turn the system off and on via the steering wheel controls. There is no way to test the system, other than to almost have a collision. The vehicle owner’s manual lists the parameters for the system to be functional - but doesn’t tell how to test it (other than to turn it on via the steering wheel button).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Some of the operational parameters involve the vehicle speed, closing speed, and braking (or lack of braking). Our system has never alerted when we are simply close to a vehicle (I think it only functions above 25 mph). It has alerted once or twice when we got too close to another vehicle at speed, and the sound is very loud (and a red light is displayed on the windshield).

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 2014 LTZ 2LZ will randomly sound the collision alert even if there are no cars on the road in front of me. I get more false alarms than anything and it is rather annoying. Just hope it works when and if I ever need it to do so!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My 2014 LTZ 2LZ will randomly sound the collision alert even if there are no cars on the road in front of me. I get more false alarms than anything and it is rather annoying. Just hope it works when and if I ever need it to do so!

Tonight, while driving my wife’s 2014 Impala 2LTZ, the system began giving false warnings. No vehicles or objects within 500 feet of the front of the car - at speeds about 35 mph. Intermittently, a green auto icon would appear, then disappear, at the bottom of the center DIC.

My wife said the system began giving intermittent false warnings in the past week or so. She forgot to tell me.

Ironically, about two weeks ago, the DIC began displaying “service rear detection” (or something similar) when stopped and shifting into reverse. It occurred more when the car had been driven in the rain.

We left the car for three days at the Chevrolet dealer where we bought the car. They claimed that they “reset the ECM” and that fixed the system.

I had received a letter from GM extending the warranty on the rear detection system for 8 years or 100,000 miles (at no cost). I also have the GM Platinum zero-deductible extended warranty. I told the service advisor, and he claimed he was unaware of the extended warranty letter.

I suspect the malfunctioning forward alert system is tied to the malfunctioning rear detection system. Time will tell.

I hate going to dealers, I hate leaving my car for so long with no resolution, and I hate dealers that don’t do the job right. Rant over.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@ 1999 White C5 Coupe, I Have not experienced the rear detection problem, hope I don't but thanks for the info. Can you give an update if you think resetting the ECM fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
@ 1999 White C5 Coupe, I Have not experienced the rear detection problem, hope I don't but thanks for the info. Can you give an update if you think resetting the ECM fixed the problem.

Yesterday the vehicle gave a false (forward) alert, while driving about 35-40 mph on a two-lane highway, with no oncoming traffic and no vehicles in front of me (with clear, sunny weather - no snow or rain)). Intermittently while driving, the green symbol of a car appeared in the lower portion of the DIC - then disappeared.

The “reset of the ECM” by my selling dealer obviously did not fix the problem.

I will wait until the rear system warning messages appear again, then I’ll take the car to another Chevrolet dealer, as I am fed-up with my selling dealer’s service department. (The car sat for three days last week, waiting on a part to fix another problem, that the service advisor forgot to order the part in advance. The part never arrived after it was ordered while my car was in the service department, and that problem was not fixed. There were no loaner vehicles (my extended GM warranty covers a rental if the car is kept by the dealer overnight), as the service advisor said all 25 of their rental / loaner cars were out, while the dealer was waiting for a backlog of repair parts due to the UAW strike.

I’ve learned that loyal GM customers come last and mean nothing to GM and the UAW.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yesterday the vehicle gave a false (forward) alert, while driving about 35-40 mph on a two-lane highway, with no oncoming traffic and no vehicles in front of me (with clear, sunny weather - no snow or rain)). Intermittently while driving, the green symbol of a car appeared in the lower portion of the DIC - then disappeared.

The “reset of the ECM” by my selling dealer obviously did not fix the problem.

I will wait until the rear system warning messages appear again, then I’ll take the car to another Chevrolet dealer, as I am fed-up with my selling dealer’s service department. (The car sat for three days last week, waiting on a part to fix another problem, that the service advisor forgot to order the part in advance. The part never arrived after it was ordered while my car was in the service department, and that problem was not fixed. There were no loaner vehicles (my extended GM warranty covers a rental if the car is kept by the dealer overnight), as the service advisor said all 25 of their rental / loaner cars were out, while the dealer was waiting for a backlog of repair parts due to the UAW strike.

I’ve learned that loyal GM customers come last and mean nothing to GM and the UAW.
I have owned at least one GM vehicle my entire adult life. The way they (GM) are going this Impala just might be my last. Sorry to hear you are having trouble just getting people to do their dang job!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have owned at least one GM vehicle my entire adult life. The way they (GM) are going this Impala just might be my last. Sorry to hear you are having trouble just getting people to do their dang job!

I have owned GM cars continuously for 50 years now - sometimes multiple GM cars at the same time (I have also owned Dodges and one Ford). My first car at age 16 was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevrolet Malibu 2-door - my father helped my buy it, and I saved money for it by working at a gas station beginning at age 15.

My theory is that because so many dealers, and the manufacturers, are flush with business - they have lost sight of basic customer service and concern.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, I don't like that they are killing off most everything except the SUV style vehicles, Camaro's, Corvettes and trucks. My opinion of the current Silverado is not a good one. I hate the way they look! I do not want to be forced into an SUV. Had one before, a Traverse. It was OK but I never liked it the way I like my Impala's or my Old Monte Carlo.

Anyway, just my opinion!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts