Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I seem to need a technical answer for it. I have a 63 4 door that I'm going to put a 6.0 LS motor in but have a suspension problem. The car is at our farm in the field with the rest of our cars and the front suspension has been removed. My father in law cut the A arms and sold the front brake setup with spindles and all.

I do have a few 70's impalas out there too with full suspension and was wondering if they were interchangeable? I am going to put an air rides system on this car and don't want to buy new replacement parts or aftermarket parts on it yet to just replace them.

Can I take the front arms and all off one of the newer cars and swap them right over without messing up the angles or width any? I don't even know if the 63 came with discs but the others do have them so i could take the whole brake system and upgrade that way.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I do not know if this will work but you may try to take the body of the 63 and custome mount it on the 70 to 76 frame. The 77 and later frame most likely will be to short. If it will work then use the complete brake system that is on the later frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it matter if the newer car has the X frame or not? I would wonder if it would sit higher and mounts line up at all. Also, I don't know if the frame is longer on a 4 door car or not but that's what I have.

Thanks for the reply and idea.
Anyone know if these things are possible?

Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Even if the body mount points did not line up you could add new mount points to the frame. X-frame verses the newer frames, I just do not have an idea. One way to find out would be to take some measurements of both the 63 body and the donnar frame. Might as a last alterative look at just cutting the frames and welding the front of the 70's to the rest of the 63 X-frame. If the welding is done properly any good alignment shop can correct the wheel alignment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts