41 - 60 of 622 Posts

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Way to go man :eek:k3:
Congrats! Well-deserved
Thanks!! :beer:

Decided kind of randomly that it was time to strip down my interior and "restore" what I can. Replace floor carpet and rear decklid carpet, repaint all plastic panels, and redo leather on interior seats. I also plan on adding a little custom flare with some gauges just below the dash for trans temp and power steering temperature for the track next season.

First step was to take out the bottom of the rear seats:

Next the top of the rear seats as well as the rear decklid carpet, panels, and noise reduction materials:

Found an old french fry in the back under a plastic panel... god only knows how long this has been there!

Looks like I'm not the only one that has ridden in this car before....

I got a little side tracked when my friend showed up with his 9c1 caprice. We were doing a little exhaust modification ;)

Random shot from the garage:

Passenger seat out... nasty looking carpet, anyone know a good place to order from?

Got my friend's exhaust cut, sounds beefy!

So far i'm making money on this interior project!

Here's a video from inside the car with stripped interior:
^foot wasn't to the floor until about 3k, i rolled on throttle... I don't wanna waste new tires just yet! :lol:

More to come soon!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I know JC Whitney has carpet kits, but I don't know if they are quality. That's probably where I'll wind up going if nobody has a better idea.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I'm currently looking into a "rug doctor". I think I'm going to sound proof the rear seat area and then just clean the carpet for now. I want my main focus to be the repainting of the dash and plastic panels
I am also looking and sound proofing/deadening my trunk and all 4 doors. I am looking at this stuff:

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got some more work done the other night as well as tonight.

First thing I had to do was get the dash out of the car for paint. Don't worry, the steering wheel will have a new wrap with perforation on the top and bottom. Undecided if i'm gonna go gray/gray or gray/black.

Pulled up the back of the carpet, getting ready for sound deadening material.

Probably the most random thing i've found so far. Carpet has NEVER been pulled up, so my only guess is that this came from the factory. But as you can see, it's a button. WTF? It was underneath all the carpet and insulation. Like I said, random!

Sound deadening material, plastic roller, and a hair dryer. Worked like a charm! It's not dynomat, but this stuff works.

This is where I ended for the night, because of a lack of material. I will definitely be buying more and continuing this weekend.

More to come soon...

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Super Moderator
18,496 Posts

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
The button is probably from one of the person that was putting the car together back then (17-18 years ago) and fell off from their shirt or pants(?).

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Man after seeing this I really want to do my doors and trunk but, Im waiting until nicer weather and better funds! lol Next summer I will tackle it. Hopefully have the funds to take the seats and carpet out and do the floor also. Anyone used fabric paint?

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Man after seeing this I really want to do my doors and trunk but, Im waiting until nicer weather and better funds! lol Next summer I will tackle it. Hopefully have the funds to take the seats and carpet out and do the floor also. Anyone used fabric paint?
Just bought some flex paint today, for the plastics and dash. They also have some paint that will work on leather and stuff so I might be using some "fabric paint" soon

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, I finally got the materials I need to start the restore!

The first step was to scrub all the oxidation and nasty marks off the dash with Simple Green. After that I'd make sure all contaminants were off with rubbing alcohol. Finally, paint! SEM Medium Gray Flex coat.

The first two steps cleaned up the dash panels a lot more then I thought.

Panels before spray (hard to see the discoloration in photos)

Panels after spraying... One thing I discovered about SEM paint is that it covers up a lot of mistakes. I know I didn't neccesarily spray the entire dash evenly, and there were some blotches but after it dried, it looked perfect.

The final result!

Many more interior panels to come soon...

41 - 60 of 622 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.