Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deciding on whether to go with an X Pipe or Straight Pipes on my 1966. Which is the better solution?

I've heard that the X Pipe gives better flow which increases the HP, but it kills some of sound from the mufflers.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
This is what I understand about this subject:
H-pipes give lower RPM a really muscle car sound, X-pipe will quiet the amount of drone in the cabin and change sound some at higher RPM's, and straight pipes are straight pipes. I'm going with X-Pipe after next paycheck comes in.

I have also heard that X-pipes add some power, but i don't think it'll ever be enough to make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
With chambered mufflers (like Flowmasters), you want an H-pipe.
With straight through mufflers (Cherry Bombs, Dynomax, etc), you want an X-pipe.

Either one will outperform and out-sound 'straight pipes' without some sort of crossover.

X-pipes with chambered mufflers tend to create a ton of 'drone', weird 'trumpeting' sounds, and sound kind of crappy.
H-pipes with chambered mufflers sound great, deep and powerful.

Reactions: WildCowboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I had the flowmasters 40 series installed with straight pipe. I think before it had glass packs on it at least thats what they looked like. It's not as loud as it was before, but definitely feels like its performing better. Maybe I'll upgrade to an H or X pipe later down the line....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts