Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling back some of the carpets in my recently acquired 64 sedan - I am finding some very thin (swiss cheese) floor pans. Only the lower (left side with the drain plug) portion seems to be affected on both the driver and passenger sides.

I am a decent hobby welder but have never done a car before. This car is purely for cruising my family around town and will never be shown. My question is:

1. If I were to patch these pans, is there any special safety things I should do first?

I would assume unhooking the battery would be a good start and checking underneath the area to be welded for fuel lines, brake lines, etc. Given that the gas tank is in the bank - should I be worried about this?

Thanks in advance.

- Aaron

M

·
0 Posts
i could add that you should make sure to have a fire extinguisher and make sure all of the interior is out of the way. if you think your welder might not last for the long welds, you can do something my friend did. he cut out the old sections with a cut off wheel and made the new pieces slightly larger with a lap on all the ends. he drilled holes along the perimeter a few inches apart on the new piece. he laid it down in place and spot welded the holes to the floor pan. he then used a duct sealer on all of the joints. this isn't the best way to do it but if you don't have a strong welder this is a good solution for a driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

Hey Moneypit,

Thanks for the input. That is a good idea for a temporary fix.

I will probably order the new pans today and then investigate which route I'm going to take. I just want something safe for my wife and kids to cruise around town in...I don't anticipate every going much over 45 mph.

- Aaron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts