Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Friday night, we got some really nasty storms out here in the Chicago suburbs. A total of 7.5 inches of rain fell overnight. Needless to say, the parking lot where we live had 2 feet of water flowing through it due to a small creek behind the lot. My wife's cobalt had about 8-12 inches of water flowing inside of it, and my Impala had about 4-5 inches of water in it. Her car is dead, wont start, the Impala starts but I'm sure could start a fire at any minute due to the water inside of the car. I hope to god, both cars get totaled. Reason being, I read online that any warranty that was left on the car has now been voided due to the flood damage. But anyway, anyone have any experience with a flood damaged car before??? This is my first and hopefully my last. I loved my Impala SS and I'm sure I won't be able to find another with 12k miles on it for $19k like the one I bought.:bang:

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
From what I understand, your GFs car will be totaled, but if yours still runs well, it will not be. To be honest, the only one who can give you a not "shot in the dark" answer is the appraiser. He will look over EVERYTHING very closely. Sorry to hear about your loss!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
With that much water in a modern vehicle, they'd better total it, because it will never be right after that. Not unless you want to strip all the electronics and wiring from the vehicle and dry the harness and plugs, and replace the computers. Not to mention all the fluids, god only knows how much water got into the tranny, could be none, could be enough to destroy it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speakers sound like shit now. I haven't tried to drive the car, I don't want to drive a car that smells like it has a corpse in it, lol.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^Yeah, if stuff like speakers, HVAC, etc are busted.....it's prolly gonna be totaled. Hell, put the appraiser in the car and shut the doors on him. He'l total it after the smell. lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Haha I can't wait for these jagoff's to get here. Making me wait all this time when I filed the claim at 3am Saturday morning!!!! I understand they probably had numerous claims, but c'mon!!! I had to have been one of the first 100 people.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whenever they feel like showing up. As soon as this shannanigans is over, I am dropping Farmers and getting Allstate or State Farm.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I like my State Farm agent. 2 years ago our town was hit by a tornado. Only my agent went to the area hit and personally looked up each of her clients to make sure they had what they needed. No one else would, they just sat back in their cozy office and waited.

And right now it could be several more days before they get around to your cars. I don't think they go by whom filed first. I think they gather the claims, sort by "zones" and go to each zone to handle all in that area.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
Damn sorry to hear that. I'm right by you, what direction are you from the city? as far as the insurance lookin at it, it could be a while. Sooooo many cities around here got hit HARD.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^It's amazing. We got maybe 1/4 inch just 60 miles north. Anyway, I heard 57 had semis flooded and they had to be rescued by boat....Then part of dempster and golf were flooded by the Des Plaines river.

Anyone down there go down Tower (I think) in Northfield near the dam?

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
yeah it was crazy around here. one night i was at work, no rain there, but when i got home (about 9 miles away) there were trees down and lights out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, i live 10 min from Chi/IL border, and we had nasty storms but thank god we did not have a flood. Let us know the outcome of everything!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im in Rolling Meadows, about 30 minutes west of downtown. They aren't coming to look at our cars until SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cars already smell god awful. Can't even imagine what Sunday will smell like....LOL

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^SHut doors and all windows so when he sees it it smells like it was underwater the whole time. lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, the doors and windows have been shut since Saturday!!! Trust me, he will get a good smell of nastiness once he opens the door!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Maybe throw a couple fish in there for good measure?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts