Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an impala 05 model ,3.4 engine,after it warms up the temp hand floats,it dont go over half way,then it comes down about 2 or 3 notches then goes up about half way,etc,is this normal ?it keeps doing this,normal or no?thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
i have an impala 05 model ,3.4 engine,after it warms up the temp hand floats,it dont go over half way,then it comes down about 2 or 3 notches then goes up about half way,etc,is this normal ?it keeps doing this,normal or no?thanks
I'm guessing your fans are not operating correctly. They have three speeds:
  • both on quarter speed
  • one on full speed
  • both on full speed
  • (and both off)
If one of the speeds is not working, the effect will be for the engine to get a little warmer than ideal (because the fans are not doing enough), then the computer commands the fans to high, which causes the rapid drop of the temp gauge needle. Then the computer commands a lower speed, and the cycle repeats.

I'm just guessing that's what is happening. But that's the best explanation I have for the large swings in engine temp. Do you see the same gauge behavior out on the highway, at steady speed?

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does this all the time,like i say it does not overheat,just goes half way then fluctuates a couple notches on the gauge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no coolant leaking,am going to test fan motors,cant gear good,dont know if they are kicking on or not,will let it warm up and see if they kick on,what about the step motors in dash?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked fans and they work,took thermostat out,havent run it yet to see,brake line busted,maybe a relay/i did notice when i started it the temp hand went almost half way and fans were not on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts