Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

just got an '08 Impala on Friday and I'm a little disappointed that GM doesn't have any indication on the side of the car when the directionals are active. My '05 (company car) had the directionals right in the corner so that was OK but GM has decided to move them inboard of the high beams for the 06-up cars.

My question is, is the directional and parking lot wiring just hardwired to the switches, or is there computer control and/or monitoring therefore I might cause problems by wiring up the parking lights to flash with the turn signals (there's a page on Daniel Stern Lighting's web site describing how to do this; sorry for not posting a real link, the forum apparently doesn't allow newless cluebies to post links) basically you just snip the ground wire to the side marker and connect it to the directional hot on that side of the car, so that one end of the sidemarker filament is connected to the parking light hot and the other side is connected to the directional hot.

I'm a little disappointed, as my dad's '73 pickup had side markers that worked like this from the factory... guess nobody actually uses their directionals anymore?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that's pretty sweet. I certainly wouldn't mind doing that, or else just drilling in a pair of euro style repeaters. only thing is though this is a leased car so I can't do anything to it too obvious (although I probably will buy it out when it's done, if it holds up for 70K miles or whatever without pissing me off.) The mod that I want to do is just snipping one wire and scotch-loking it to another, and isn't obvious unless you actually see the lights working (hey, this guy actually has turn signals on the side of his car!) figured it was worth asking, don't want to do it and then suddenly find out I have a bulb malfunction indication or something (does chevy even do this?)

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
basically you just snip the ground wire to the side marker and connect it to the directional hot on that side of the car, so that one end of the sidemarker filament is connected to the parking light hot and the other side is connected to the directional hot.

I'm a little disappointed, as my dad's '73 pickup had side markers that worked like this from the factory... guess nobody actually uses their directionals anymore?
My 77 uses the same technology as well. It should work on your car, but I would not do this until the warranty is out or you could very well void it. Most manufactures will cancel the warranty if they see that the wiring harness has been cut at ANY point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts