Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i have a ex cop car and would like to restore to stock as much as possible. I am trying to take the spot light off and plug hole or fix the hole... Any suggestions? Thanks Chad

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Aside from doing it correctly and having it welded, you can sand the area,spray with a rust inhibitor paint and then fill the hole with silicone or similar. Do not bondo anything.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Why not bondo? I would think if he hit it with some fiberglass filler then smoothed out with some bondo he should be ok, but please correct me if Im wrong... I guess it depends on how big the hole is too.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Well I am by no means a body work expert, but anytime Ive used bondo and done it right (some guidance from pop) it never fell apart on me. I have seen some break apart and shit but I would think that using it to plug a small hole over some hardened fiber glass might be ok.

Although if I were you... I would listen to the mechanic, not the financial analyst :icon_thumright:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Well I am by no means a body work expert, but anytime Ive used bondo and done it right (some guidance from pop) it never fell apart on me. I have seen some break apart and shit but I would think that using it to plug a small hole over some hardened fiber glass might be ok.

Although if I were you... I would listen to the mechanic, not the financial analyst :icon_thumright:
I am just going by what I see our body shop across from us deal with when they have to repair failed bondo work. Again its just how you go about it. When I got my first caprice 10 years ago it had the 7X7 option (dual spot lights) and when I had it painted, the shop i went to said they would take care of all the equipment holes. After a year I found out they used bondo when all the filled areas started coming up/cracking and such.

The body shop across from me repaired it by removing all the bondo and welding sheet metal in those places. To this day, 5 years after the welded repair, no signs of any flaws.

If you are on a budget or just dont care and want a fix, go for it. It will hold up. Worse case scenario it will crack a bit later but will still hold up. Just make sure to fill the hole with silicone and use some sort of spray can stuff like rust o leum to prevent any rust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol Sorry man...
Thought there was a rubber stopper or something out there i could just plug it with! If anyone else has any info would be cool... Thanks chad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts