Impala Forums banner

Finally - Helm Shop Service Manual available

26K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  hatzie 
#1 ·
As I figured, I didn't get an email from them that it was available.
But I've been checking almost every other night.

Shipping is pretty steep, ~$40, handling ~$9...

Just make sure you don't order the Limited version...

Item Number Name Unit Price Qty Total Price
GMP14GCI 2014 Chevy Impala Service Manual Set $200.00 1 $200.00

Subtotal Shipping Handling Tax Total
$200.00 $39.78 $8.75 $0.00 $248.53

#4 ·
The price has gone up. They are $375 now.

In my opinion this is one of the effects of all the right to repair and copyright/digital media, etc... laws that are being made and proposed. Theres nothing that says the manufacturer needs to make information and tools available at economical prices, just that they need to be available ;)

Volvo charges over $7,800 for a 1yr subscription to their service information. LMFAO Thatll teach you to buy Chinese.....

#6 ·
Are you serious? :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Do you know what kind of lawsuits would occur if every jackass that bought a new car and had a "friend" who was a mechanic were given free access to the service information?

Not too mention WHY in the world would they do that? Theyd be stealing money from themselves, AND from independent service center.

Its not like theres even some kind of reference from which to make this assertion either....theres no manufacturer of expensive/complex cosnumer products of ANY KIND that I am aware of that gives away service information for the product Shit outside of motor vehicles youre lucky if you can even source the information at all.

Call up Tesla and ask them for a service manual for one of their cars....then try Samsung for your Galaxy phone, and maybe Apple for your Ipad. Let me know what everyone of them says...if you can even get someone to answer the question without presuming you are retarded or f*cking with them.

Just because YOU think its a good idea, or should happen, doesnt mean it IS a good idea or will happen.

What would you even want the full manual for? What would you like to do that you cant currently?

#7 ·
Because I don't want to pay $120 an hour for an idiot mechanic to do the work I can do myself. Generic repair guides cost $30 so why do these cost $300. It's all a scam anyway. They do this with Professional Tax software and Engineering software too. Instead of upgrades every year you have to purchase the new versions for 2k plus. All I am saying is if you pay40k for a car you should have access to do it yourself repairs that you can do after the warranty runs out. After the 5 year 100k warranty is done with GM and other car manufacturers could care less about the cars and the Dealers run the shops not the automaker so why would they care to protect the dealer after the warranty is over. Anyone with half a brain goes to an outside shop if it's not a warranty fix. Shops at the dealer are double the price and it doesn't mean they are better at fixing the issues. My 2010 Malibu had a simple under warranty fix that I told them what was wrong and they still went through 4 days and tons of tests to come to the same conclusion. A bunch of idiots

#9 ·
Because I don't want to pay $120 an hour for an idiot mechanic to do the work I can do myself. Generic repair guides cost $30 so why do these cost $300....
Generic repair guides cost $30 because they have significantly less information. A typical generic manual is in the 300 page range, a GM service manual set can easily be 1,500 pages or more.

If you want to fix your own vehicle, this is how much it costs if you want the exact same stuff dealers use Even at $375 it could easily amortized into your vehicle repairs that you perform over the life of the vehicle. Shit its only just over 3hrs of labor/diag. There are cheaper online subscriptions such as Alldata that offers comprehensive service information beyond a generic manual but at lower cost than OE information.

The money you could save from one repair done properly with the OEM manual as compared to what the failure may cost if you use a generic manual and perform an improper repair could easily account for the cost in shot.

Im not even gonna get into the rest of the comment.

Jtrosky....information is dangerous if you dont know how to use it properly....people who shouldnt be attempting repairs, would now be doing so just because they got the book. They already do it without the proper infomation, what makes you think that would change or get better?

#13 · (Edited)
But they are sold anyway - I haven't heard of a single lawsuit - have you?

But we agree that it all comes down to money - just not because of liability reasons...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah they are sold. But they are $200-$375 depending on the car, and you need to search for them, and then wait for them to come in. They arent an impulse buy at Advance Auto parts that makes you think you can fix anything :lol:

Again, theres a difference in the mind set and skill set between people who are buying several hundred service manuals, and many of those who feel entitled to them.

I get to work on the cars of people who work on their own cars all the time. It it not infrequently to fix something they cobbled together, or they decided to "re-engineer" because GMs way was to hard or too expensive. Most of the screw ups that fail and I fix people knew they did it wrong.....and they still did it. AND they often come into the shop because they expect the General to fix THEIR f*ckup.

#15 ·
We'll have to agree to disagee. I just don't see how providing documentation for something that you buy can be considered a liability.

Whether or not it *should* be supplied with the vehicle for free or not is a different issue - but just providing the documentation itself is not a liability issue in my mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Providing information needed to disable safety and emissions systems isnt a liability?

You provide a manual that tells a customer how to disable the airbags....they do so and are injured/die. GM would lose that case, you know it.

We live a society where have been awarded MILLIONS of dollars because they spilled their own hot coffee on themselves....imagine the shit storm from this type of scenario.

#17 · (Edited)
At Helm, they are $375 plus what ever it cost to ship. Plus they now have this note when you go to order it.

"This manual is a digital reprint of the original publication. It is possible that this item will be in loose-leaf format. Any wiring diagrams in the original shop/service manual are NOT reproduceable and are no longer available."

#25 ·
Looks like it's back down to a slightly less ridiculous price of $375 (which is probably $450 after they gouge your nads off for shipping).

And the "Reproduction of Original Publication" bit seems to reinforce the "Hey Marge go Xerox this" theory that Cleatus gave.

What most likely happens is that they have an initial print run of 3126 for their 3125 dealers plus one extra - only the dealerships get the real thing, the extra is the one that gets Xeroxed for everyone else who orders one.

Typical GM move, Tesla would have the thing on DVD-ROM or as a PDF download.

If I needed a copy, I would order it, Xerox it myself and return it as incomplete/defective. :devil:

2015 Chevy Impala Service Manual Set
Price: $375.00 In Stock - Reproduction of Original Publication Qty: Pkg Qty: 1 Media: Paper Language: English Item/Part #: GMP15GCI Models and Years Covered Contains Factory Authorized Service information written by General Motors. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.