Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving to work and was making my way out onto the road out of a turn lane and my acted up again with the shaking and loss of power and no tachometer. Took it to my buddies shop to have him replace the crankshaft sensor. Hopefully this fixes it.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Grille

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 248.5k miles (20SEP2022)
329 Posts
@Jake0811 : I don't know ... I'm no mechanic, but I thought the Crank Sensor was famous for a no-start condition, not driveability issues. And I also thought the ECM was smart enough to infer the CAM or CRANK position as long as it had one of them giving steady, reliable input?

Strangely enough, though ... my soon-to-be 20-year-old, 2002 Impala has also started shaking and chugging ... but just at startup. Very weak ... chug-chug-chug ... I don't give it the gas ... I just let it roll along slowly on it's own, and it comes out of it within about a block. Of course, my CEL has been ON for several years now due to the MAF code (P0102) that I never solved, but I need to check "underneath" to see if any more codes are 'joining the party'... LOL!

Reactions: Dill-O

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Jake0811 : I don't know ... I'm no mechanic, but I thought the Crank Sensor was famous for a no-start condition, not driveability issues. And I also thought the ECM was smart enough to infer the CAM or CRANK position as long as it had one of them giving steady, reliable input?

Strangely enough, though ... my soon-to-be 20-year-old, 2002 Impala has also started shaking and chugging ... but just at startup. Very weak ... chug-chug-chug ... I don't give it the gas ... I just let it roll along slowly on it's own, and it comes out of it within about a block. Of course, my CEL has been ON for several years now due to the MAF code (P0102) that I never solved, but I need to check "underneath" to see if any more codes are 'joining the party'... LOL!
After like an hour i nor my buddy could get this sensor out. Its in such a tight spot. I have to drop the cradle down and lower the motor down to even get a socket on there. Smh... car is back home parked until i can find time to replace it. Even on the lift it was still a pain in the ass. 🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
2013 Impala LT
599 Posts
After like an hour i nor my buddy could get this sensor out. Its in such a tight spot. I have to drop the cradle down and lower the motor down to even get a socket on there. Smh... car is back home parked until i can find time to replace it. Even on the lift it was still a pain in the ass. 🙄🙄🙄
Yup. I remember trying to tackle it on a couple separate occasions, always thinking I must be doing something wrong and that there was probably an easy way to get at it. Never did find that easy way.

·
Registered
02 Impala LS 3800
4 Posts

Hey did you ever find out what was doing that mine's doing that too not as bad

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 248.5k miles (20SEP2022)
329 Posts
Hey did you ever find out what was doing that mine's doing that too not as bad
You know what (??) ... I honestly can't say ... I might've cleaned out the Throttle Body ... I know I did ... just can't remember exactly when. Anyway, it hasn't been doing the chug-chug-chug thing ... probably since just after that March post! Had forgotten all about it ... until re-reading this thread!

Maybe it'll return as the weather starts getting colder?

BTW: My 20-year-old Impala still has its original Crank Sensor! In fact, every Sensor (except the MAF) is still original from the Factory!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts