Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scrubbed the damn Sharks Logo off and rattled canned it black. And I know my engine needs a good detail job.

Attachments

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Grab a can of wd40, that will clean that motor up no problem. And keeps that shine on there for weeks.:eek:k3:

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna try some brake cleaner. I have a few cans of both Brake Cleaner and WD 40 in my arsenal.

·
1,077 Posts
Alright then, so we got the before picture. Make sure you post the after masterpiece.:beer:

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Tell what the heck this puck is for. I hear about it all the time here.

·
1,077 Posts
On our cars, from the factory we have a plastic baffle that looks like a home plate (baseball diamond) on the elbow end of the intake. That baffle retaines heat thus becomes a horsepower robber.

As you can see, the hockey puck fits directly in the elbow eliminating the air from traveling and sitting elsewhere from where its suppose to go.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I thought it was just part of the intake muffler. I removed it because I didn't like that it was in the way of me being able to see the engine. It just annoyed me.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Ahhhh, I get it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was gonna try some brake cleaner. I have a few cans of both Brake Cleaner and WD 40 in my arsenal.
Papa D - Here is the best way to clean up that engine compartment.

Standard disclaimers: Not responsible for damage. Use at your own risk. Not affiliated with the manufactures of the products mentioned in this post.
Step One: Lightly Spray / Mist down fenders, and nose of vehicle.
Step Two: On a cold engine: coat/spray ALL* underhood areas with Armor all or similar product. *(Avoid spraying it directly on the belt or distributor.)
Step Three: Start the car and bring it to operating temperature.
Step Four: Let the engine cool for approx. 15 to 20 minutes.
Step Five: On the now warm engine: Use 409, Simple Green or similar household cleaner/degreaser and spray on the entire engine compartment. Make sure you use even more on heavily soiled areas. (Once again pay close attention of the Alternator/Distributor area)
Step Six: Let the cleaner sit for 5 minutes. If you let it sit too long it will evaporate and can stain aluminum parts and you will have to start all over again.
Step Seven: Using LOW PRESSURE water, rinse the engine. Make sure you do not hold the water on the distributor or Other electrical components for too long. Be sure that you rinse well.
Step Eight: Start the car and bring it to operating temperature. Driving it for a while is good too, as you will be sure that all of the engine compartment gets dry.
Step Nine: With the engine off repeat step ONE.
Step Ten: Wipe off low or flat areas and any area where you might still see some dirt. Wipe off all metal surfaces (some Armor All will remain) including the intake, Alt. and water pump.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Papa D - Here is the best way to clean up that engine compartment.

Standard disclaimers: Not responsible for damage. Use at your own risk. Not affiliated with the manufactures of the products mentioned in this post.
Step One: Lightly Spray / Mist down fenders, and nose of vehicle.
Step Two: On a cold engine: coat/spray ALL* underhood areas with Armor all or similar product. *(Avoid spraying it directly on the belt or distributor.)
Step Three: Start the car and bring it to operating temperature.
Step Four: Let the engine cool for approx. 15 to 20 minutes.
Step Five: On the now warm engine: Use 409, Simple Green or similar household cleaner/degreaser and spray on the entire engine compartment. Make sure you use even more on heavily soiled areas. (Once again pay close attention of the Alternator/Distributor area)
Step Six: Let the cleaner sit for 5 minutes. If you let it sit too long it will evaporate and can stain aluminum parts and you will have to start all over again.
Step Seven: Using LOW PRESSURE water, rinse the engine. Make sure you do not hold the water on the distributor or Other electrical components for too long. Be sure that you rinse well.
Step Eight: Start the car and bring it to operating temperature. Driving it for a while is good too, as you will be sure that all of the engine compartment gets dry.
Step Nine: With the engine off repeat step ONE.
Step Ten: Wipe off low or flat areas and any area where you might still see some dirt. Wipe off all metal surfaces (some Armor All will remain) including the intake, Alt. and water pump.
Thanks!:eek:k3:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I'm gonna do the cleaning thing lol. This might be a stupid question but I have to ask, is that safe?

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm gonna do the cleaning thing lol. This might be a stupid question but I have to ask, is that safe?
Cleaning your engine... If you do it right, it is.

Hockey Puck... if you do it right it is. :eek:k3:

Why wouldn't it be safe? It fits very snuggly into the Muffler/Homeplate hole and is held in place by the hose clamp.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I was just asking about the cleaning thing lol but it is fascinating how something like a hockey puck can be functionally applied in a motor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I was just asking about the cleaning thing lol but it is fascinating how something like a hockey puck can be functionally applied in a motor.
Engine trick works great, get a ton of compliments when i do it before shows

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Actually, I thought it was just part of the intake muffler. I removed it because I didn't like that it was in the way of me being able to see the engine. It just annoyed me.
That's exactly why I took mine off. Only akoimeexx made me a really cool plug with a phoenix on it. Judging by the life it's lived in my care so far, that was a good thing to put on said plug.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's exactly why I took mine off. Only akoimeexx made me a really cool plug with a phoenix on it. Judging by the life it's lived in my care so far, that was a good thing to put on said plug.
LOL... Hopefully you have not too much down time.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
nah, I got my cuda to drive around in. I'm still waiting for a transmission to show up. The car is still driveable in first, second, and reverse, but when it shifts into 3rd nothing happens to the acceleration.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I Swiss Cheesed the Air Box this weekend. It seems to have perked up the throttle response a little. Not a major change, but it was more than I expected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I gota find a Blackhawks puck, that would be sweet! However, can't you rob and intake elbow from a Camaro without the hole?

Sent from my Vortex using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts