Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally fixed the annoying rattle. the flex pipe was broken inside. i had a new piece welded in and it sounds like a new car. but now i suspect that my new cat has set off the CEL.. not one week after being installed!!!

anyway. the car runs fine but i noticed the check engine light on this morning. what is my best bet (and least expensive) option at this point to eliminate that light? some reading yeilded information on spark plug non foulers spacers in the rear o2 bung, or i may just try the o2 simulator because that sounds easier.

whats the consensus on this?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Confirm thats what the light is on for first. A spacer might work, but might not. An emulator will definitely work, or you could get a tune and have the code removed.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I would go straight for the emulator. Easy fix and no fuss.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Without knowing the code we can't help. You assuming its that problem is just absurd with nothing to back it up.
True, I would def have the code read first but, likely the cat throwing a deficiency code. It could possibly be a leak as well though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check engine light means fricking Squat sometimes !!!! Hook up a scan tool to the OBD port then drive it like you normally do for a week or so. If the Cat and EVAP icons do not finish there respective tests, then suspect a cat or evap problem. I personally also recommend you to do a coolant flush and fill then bleed air then re-fill again with dextron coolant. Then run test again.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It's Dexron and I am totally against it. Stock with prestone. I have heard and seen way too many bad experiences with dexron. It eats gaskets up

Personally, I wouldn't do anything until getting codes read.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without knowing the code we can't help. You assuming its that problem is just absurd with nothing to back it up.
listen aunt jeminia! :)

code p0420

its been reset with an obd and has been off for the better part of the day ive been driving... think it could remain off or will a simulator def cure this?

one mechanic said the rear o2 sensor is bad. but what are the chances that it went bad a week after replacing the cat. according to the scanner the rear o2 was functioning within the normal range.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It COULD remain off awhile, but its almost certainly going to come back. A simulator will fix it for certain.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You wouldn't miss anything, the only code it registers is the P0420. If you are actually having a cat problem, there will be other symptoms...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Well shit, I would have done that in the first place instead of having my exhaust tested and buying a sensor.
Def should have. And really with an 02 emulator you can just buy an 02 bung and remove the downstream o2 sensor.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Def should have. And really with an 02 emulator you can just buy an 02 bung and remove the downstream o2 sensor.

If I completely remove the o2 sensor won't I get a code and light? And if I was just going to put a plug in then I could just skip the emulator and put a plug in the existing bung right. Still need a good o2 sensor plugged into the system.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for hi jacking my thread lol.

the thing you posted is really just a spacer that pulls the o2 sensor out a bit from the pipe. im not sure it will work with clearance issues on our cars. a true "emulator" or simulator is an electronic device that plugs into the sensor harness and fools the computer into thinking the readings are proper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts