Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Impala fueling issues. The gas pump handle clicks off so much it takes forever to gas up. I replaced the fuel vent solenoid behind the fender skirt by the filler tube. I blew into the hose thats goes from the solenoid to the canister and pressure builds up in the tank and releases backwards out the tube i blew into. I suck on the tube and can hear air circulating from the filler tube at the gas cap through the tube freely. what else would cause the filling of the tank to e such a battle?

It seems that when filling up, the vapors build and make the pump handle turn off. I tried with the ignition key on and off to test the solenoid to make sure the purge system was open and closed.

At a loss, help please

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Has the filling tube to the tank been bent or kinked in any way ??

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Sounds like the canister may be clogged...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tube seems to be correct and not damaged. I was gpoing to start looking at the canister, but wanted input before i get into that mess. No engine lights for the canister though?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
How long has it been happening? Evap codes aren't read every start, just after 3 cold to warm runs of the engine and when your tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought the car for a family member. so its been around for a week. starting to think maybee the purge valve or the canister is plugged but dont want to drop the tank quite yet.....any ideas? My code reader showed no stored or previous codes

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
No reason to drop the tank, none of those items are attached to the tank. Even if you needed to do something with the pump, there is an access panel in the trunk right behind the back seat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the exact same problem if you figure this out please let us know

·
Banned
667 Posts
05 Impala fueling issues. The gas pump handle clicks off so much it takes forever to gas up. I replaced the fuel vent solenoid behind the fender skirt by the filler tube. I blew into the hose thats goes from the solenoid to the canister and pressure builds up in the tank and releases backwards out the tube i blew into. I suck on the tube and can hear air circulating from the filler tube at the gas cap through the tube freely. what else would cause the filling of the tank to e such a battle?

It seems that when filling up, the vapors build and make the pump handle turn off. I tried with the ignition key on and off to test the solenoid to make sure the purge system was open and closed.

At a loss, help please
I am also having the same issue as well it just started happening on the 15th. I have to use 3 or 4 pumps just to fill up :gaah:

also additional issues started happing as well. being to think it's time for me to take it to the junk yard and cut my losses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No reason to drop the tank, none of those items are attached to the tank. Even if you needed to do something with the pump, there is an access panel in the trunk right behind the back seat.

didnt realize there is an access panel. that will create access to the vapor canister to be removed along with disconnecting vacuum lines? I seen pics but only big enough for the fuel pump/sending unit to pull out?

·
Registered
653 Posts
The access panel will not gain you access to the vapor canister. It is attached to the top left hand side of the fuel tank and the tank will need to be lowered to gain access to it, you may not have to remove it completely but it will need to come down some to get at it.

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
Check the filler tube, believe it or not; spiders, stinkbugs, ect build "nests" in any crevice they can

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, i just do not get any MIL and tank between 20-80 full for proper OBDII diagnostics. I have a cable camera for looking into eclosed spaces, ill put it down the filler tube or just take it off. Is it a screen for anti-theft of fuel or is it a metal plate in the filler tube?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Inside of the tank their is a cage with a ball in it to discourage fuel theft right at where the fuel filler neck attaches to the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me for a while. What i did was get a hand pump and pump gas in from a clean container and then pumped it out, as much as i could. I stopped putting cheap gas in it and been great since then. Just let it run to almost empty after you hand pump the gas in and repeat if necessary. If that doesn't help then your canister might be clogged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts