Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has 94,xxx miles on it so ive been doin alot of tune up stuff myself n its been runnin a lil better but it still doesnt have that full kick in it back yet. this weekend im going to put new platinum tip spark plugs in it since it doesnt look like they have been changed in a while if at all, will this should help right? also my steering when i slow down or try to go around corners is a btich to turn it tighten ups so much n is os hard to turn the wheel i9m guessing the power steering pump? so im going to swap it out with a new one. i dont know if the fuel filter has been switched out for or not so i plan on doing that also, it isnt to hard to do right? and will that help a little also?? i know a lot of my questions might sound a little stupid to some of you but gimme a break cause im kinda new to this i bought a haynes manual a few months ago and have been doing all the stuff myself. allready put a new starter, drained transmission fluid n put new filter in, drained cleaned n put in new coolant and same with oil and oil filter, also put a new egr valve on it. anyone have any other pointers on anything for me? the person i bought it from didnt take the best of care of it.

thanks in advance for the support i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Everything sounds good. As for the steering though, check to make sure your waterpump isn't leaking from the weephole and causing the issues. Also check your belt tensioner (or just replace) before arbitrarily replacing the pump.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything sounds good. As for the steering though, check to make sure your waterpump isn't leaking from the weephole and causing the issues. Also check your belt tensioner (or just replace) before arbitrarily replacing the pump.
i replaced my water pump bout a month ago n put a new belt on bout 4 days ago. as far as the weephole i remembered when i replaced my water pump the leraking of coolant was a steady flow so i knew it was comin from the weephole how would i check it for this issue? power steering fluid wouldnt b leaking from it right?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you changed the O2's, egr or the opti?
i changed my egr valve few weeks ago but im not to familiar with what a O2 or opti is could you enlighten me?.....................n like i said gime a break im new at this and im learnin haha

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx alot and wow looks like a got a lil more work to do. seems like it never stops but i luv my car. thanx for the heads up it was a good read

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disagree with some of the
recommendations you have been given here:

Buy, Borrow, or Steal a scan tool, and check your O2 sensors,
and other parts.

Don't just start throwing parts at it.

The Opti gets a bad rap. I changed mine
out at over 100K, only because I had
the front end disassembled. I am positive
it would still be fine today if I had left it alone.

Do check and replace if needed all
wear items: belt, hoses, filters, etc...

As far as your steering, if your belt is new,
and the water pump isn't leaking, AND
the pump fluid is full...

...already mentioned: how is your belt tensioner?

...how clean is your belt & pullies?

There is a TON of stuff you SHOULD do
for a tune up.

You said you are changing your plugs,
how are your plug wires?

Definitely change your fuel filter.

I would not start swapping out O2 sensors
and the Opti unless they are defective.

There is an old saying that I really like:

"If it ain't broke.... Don't fix it!"

Seriously, 96K is NOT A LOT of miles for your opti.

Just my .02 :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, if you do find the need to change the Opti,
get a GM unit. Stay away from the MSD Billet Opti.

Read up on this stuff. You'll see why.

HTH.

so if i hook up a obd2 to it, it will tell me if the opti needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im going to put in new wires also and ive read the product description for the msd wires but what is your guys thought on msd compared to just new stock wiring??

·
Registered
288 Posts
i replaced my water pump bout a month ago n put a new belt on bout 4 days ago. as far as the weephole i remembered when i replaced my water pump the leraking of coolant was a steady flow so i knew it was comin from the weephole how would i check it for this issue? power steering fluid wouldnt b leaking from it right?
Just look at or feel the bottom of the waterpump. If there is coolant there, then it's leaking. Power steering fluid wouldn't leak from there (unless you added some to your cooling system for some reason,) but the coolant will drip onto the sepentine belt and cause it to slip, thus creating a temporary no power steering moment. A weak belt tensioner, or dirty/oily pulleys can have the same effect.

As far as the wires go, the MSD's are fine, but they are thicker than oem and thus more difficult to install. Many people have run magnecores with no problems, but they are a little harder to find. I have some moroso wires,just to try something different, and they have held up nicely next to my tri-y's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok no leak from the weep hole and power steering resevoir stays completely full. also the belt is completely dry,could this mean broken power steering pump???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i guess tommorow i will just jack it on up put a new ps pump on there n c how it goes maybe ill clean the whole engine bay while im at it. hope it fixes the problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts