Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to put this together because this comes up alot on other forums and I see the same questions asked in like 50 different threads. So this should answer your questions, if more feel free to ask and ill do what I can to get back to you.

Basically, it pretty much all comes down to looks..... Your 3 main choices that everyone seems to pick are:

255/50/17's (27" Diameter)
275/40/17's (25.6" Diameter)
285/40/17's (26" Diameter)

Some think the 255's are too tall of a sidewall. While others think 275's aren't enough of a sidewall. So you find them running 285's. Only issue with 285's are some don't like the protruding sidewall, and some tire places wont put a 285 tire on a 8.5" wheel. But ask anyone running them and they will tell you 285 works.

The tire size has little relevance to the performance aspect of a street tire. Its the make and model that will have the biggest bearing on your wants/needs.

To name a few that can be found in all 3 sizes:
Kumho ECSTA ASX (All-Season Performance Tire)

Kumho ECSTA SPT (Summer Performance Tire)

Nitto NT555 (Extreme Performance Tire)

But as stated before size wise is all up to personal preference. Go out to meets, or look through pictures and see what fits you best. Just to get you started here are 6 pictures of cars with Hotckis Lowering Spring setup on the 3 sets of tires mentioned above.

255's

275's

285's

NOW GET OUT THERE AND REPLACE YOUR SHITTY BFG'S!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I saw an imp today with stocker fronts, and 275/40 rears, and it looked very bad. The low pro's on stock suspension looks bad in my opinion, they might be nicer on a lower car. I think im gonna stay stock size when its time for replacements.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tells you exact diameters and % of change to your speedo. Turns out I would do better with a 235 than the 225's I run now, but they are almost impossible to find.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
I actually want a slightly taller tire, trouble is any taller you have to go to 29" and you get into sport truck tires, not what I was looking for. Probably a fitment issue with the Impala springs on the car too.

Basically I would like to run a 28x10.50 ET Drag at the strip but should really have 4.10s to do that but I would rather not have to put up with the 4.10 rpms on the street especially not once you consider the 27" street rubber.

Have actually considered swapping to 4.10s for spring and fall and 3.42-3.73 in summer. I do drive the car some in winter, but not that much. Kind of a handful.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I actually want a slightly taller tire, trouble is any taller you have to go to 29" and you get into sport truck tires, not what I was looking for. Probably a fitment issue with the Impala springs on the car too.

Basically I would like to run a 28x10.50 ET Drag at the strip but should really have 4.10s to do that but I would rather not have to put up with the 4.10 rpms on the street especially not once you consider the 27" street rubber.

Have actually considered swapping to 4.10s for spring and fall and 3.42-3.73 in summer. I do drive the car some in winter, but not that much. Kind of a handful.

DwayneJ,

There are some solutions to your dilemma but they are outside the scope of this thread. Why don't you copy this info and start a new thread and let people make suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts