Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my new Impala Friends
i am new here and i just got a 95 impala. my problem is the car is over heating and as it over heats then the fans will kick on. I took it to a shop for some one to look at and they are suppost to be the best place in town:hope: (from what 5 people said ) the guy looks at it and says "the fans kick on at about 229 degrees and turn off when its drops to 219 degrees".:dizzy: im having a had time believing that:dunno:, can someone tell me what should i do?
~gackman Of Cali

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
They will kick on just as the needle touches the red. I know it is super annoying, but if they are coming on at that point, they are working.

... And welcome to the forum!

Reactions: gackman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU for the Welcome and im happy to be here and a owner of a 95 Impala ss.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I believe the factory first fan on temp is actually 224 the second is like 242.
The dash gauge is in the cylinder head, the pcm gets it's info from the waterpump mounted sensor.

LOTS of new b-body owners have chased this "overheating problem" that didn't exist.

Reactions: gackman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That all [email protected]$& up then. Well I got the thermostat thats a 160 degrees today and put it in that helped a litte bit. I wish I could do something to gets these fans to kick on sooner.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
A lower temp t-stat will help keep the engine cooler but, your pcm is what controls the fans. Without a tune or a direct wire fan, it won't help much.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I hope you got the correct T-stat. Alot of guys have thrown in the old 1st gen stat and had problems of course.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Getting a lower temp thermostat is not the answer, the thermostat is set to 180 degrees for a reason, your car will run better when its at that temp and above, to a certain extent of course.

You fans should kick in at about 220, or so. That is perfectly normal.

220 degrees is about middle on the gauge, nowhere near the red, your fans should kick in way before the red.

The coolant temp sensor tells the fan to turn on, the thermostat has nothing to do with the fans, the thermostat actually prevents cooling, as to get the engine to optimal operating temperature.

If your gauge is not going past the middle, your fine, if it is and your fans are still not running, then you should do this test.

Turn on the AC, does the fan come one?

Check the fan relays on the fuse box under the hood, check the harnesses on the fan itself.

Check the fluid levels also, low fluid can cause these exact symptoms.

It helps if you can connect a ELM data cable to the diag port and actually read current temps and listen for fans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts