Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.....it wasn't so bad until it got hot out. Is there a way to disable the fan from turning off when I get or make a call? I looked all over in the book and went thru the settings and I couldn't find any way to do this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, when I make or receive a call thru the Bluetooth (not onstar) the fan turns off until the call is over. I cant even override it manually.

I thought there might be a setting for this, but I cant find anything in the manual.

So I guess my question is, is it supposed to do this or is it a defect?

·
Registered
884 Posts
onstar did this to me with a robo call once. turned off radio and fan turned down. I thought something was wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have driven many cars with hands free phone set ups and I have not had any turn the fan off. The fan itself does not seem that loud even on high. It seems like you should have the option of changing the setting.

So back to my original question. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That is crazy - I could understand it if there were a way to override it, but it's ridiculous if there is no way to keep the fans on if you want. Can you imagine if you had to spend 30 minutes on the phone during a 95F day? It would get damn hot! Or even if you had a 30 minute call on a -5F day.

They need to at least give you a way to turn the fans back on if you want. I've never heard of a car "forcing" you keep the fans off just because you are on a hands free call. It may not be a "defect", but it's most certainly a very bad design, at the least!

Another case of cars trying to get too advanced for their own good. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually like being able to control my vehicle!

Reminds of the story I just read the other day about a super expensive Tesla - the reviewer was unable to review the car because the fancy, "self retracting" door handles broke and he couldn't get into the damn car to review it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
227 Posts
From what I can tell the fan has eight speeds plus off. During a call the fan doesn't seem to turn OFF completely, but down to about "position 4" out of a possible 8 speeds. I have a 2015 LTZ V6, the fan speed knob has no marked positions.

I don't know if operating in Auto vs manual settings affects this, but I am able to increase/decrease the fan speed manually when a call is active and coming through the speakers. You should also be able to change your fan speed after a call comes in, unless the HVAC programming is different between our cars.

But as far as I can tell there is no way to turn off that "cut the fan speed" feature, only to manually adjust fan speed after the call starts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It must have been a one time thing for me. I have placed and received a few calls since then and I can turn the fan speed back up.

Thanks for all of the responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A side question to this topic...... Is anyone else have their Bluetooth sound like your driving through a tunnel when talking on it... I can hear the other person crystal clear but everyone says that I cut in and out and it echoes a lot...

·
Registered
33 Posts
A side question to this topic...... Is anyone else have their Bluetooth sound like your driving through a tunnel when talking on it... I can hear the other person crystal clear but everyone says that I cut in and out and it echoes a lot...
I had that problem with my 14 2LT and there is a software update that fixes it. Same exact symptoms you are experiencing. Didn't have a TSB and I traded it as it had too many first year model issues.

My 15 LTZ has been flawless mechanically but my Crystal Red Tintcoat is the worst paintjob I have ever had on any car and am fighting with the dealer to get it corrected.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I had that problem with my 14 2LT and there is a software update that fixes it. Same exact symptoms you are experiencing. Didn't have a TSB and I traded it as it had too many first year model issues.

My 15 LTZ has been flawless mechanically but my Crystal Red Tintcoat is the worst paintjob I have ever had on any car and am fighting with the dealer to get it corrected.

I bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ - it also has had too many first year model issues + three safety recalls. Poor quality & workmanship.

It is interesting that you bought a 2015 after having problems with the 2014. Why did you buy or accept the car if it had a poor paintjob?

·
Registered
2 Posts

well I guess ill have to take it back to the dealer. I recently had it in there and brought it to their attention and they said it connected fine and was working properly when clearly it sounded like crap...

·
Registered
603 Posts
My fan doesn't shutoff it lowers the setting so not to create too much noise so the person on the other end of the call can hear you clearly. You can turn the knob to increase the fan manually if this happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ - it also has had too many first year model issues + three safety recalls. Poor quality & workmanship.

It is interesting that you bought a 2015 after having problems with the 2014. Why did you buy or accept the car if it had a poor paintjob?
I have purchased numerous vehicles from this dealer over the years and have never had a problem so I tend to trust them. They also knocked a bit off the price for the inconvenience. I figured it was just a buff away from being fine and since it was nasty weather for my first 3 weeks of ownership many of the inconsistencies were not seen until under sunlight . They got rid of the hood patches but now I'm left with swirls over the whole hood.

It is going in next week to remedy it as it is going to body shop at the dealers expense to fix it.

My issues with the 14 were purely annoyance issues. I travel 6 months out of the year and spend tons of time in my car. main issues were:

1: Center screen rebooting at random
2: Bluetooth phone scratchy and static on other end so people couldn't understand me. (I heard them fine)
3: Console DIC reset constantly.
4: Radio rebooted if USB stick plugged into anything but behind the screen.

My issues were not safety related and purely from a electronics issue standpoint. I never had a real complaint with the drivability as it was great. I never buy a vehicle that is first year and I took a chance. Since I drive and require a stable Bluetooth connection that became a deal breaker as to why I traded it in. I could have purchased 3rd party crap and had wires running everywhere but that kind of defeats the purpose of integration and it should work as advertised.

They fixed the Bluetooth phone issue with a TSB reflash(I forget the TSB though) but the TSB flash brought back the issue they fixed to stop the radio from rebooting randomly. When the radio reboots, it drops the Bluetooth connection so eve though they could here me clearly, I would drop.

My only other real complaint was 3 of 4 tires were unbalanced from the factory which was quickly fixed.

Other than my paint issue which will be fixed, my 15 LTZ has been flawless in every aspect and believe the paint issue was not factory related but where the dealer stored the vehicle and they are stepping up and paying to fix it. I figure the second year most of the teething problems are worked out and so far so good.

·
Registered
33 Posts

well I guess ill have to take it back to the dealer. I recently had it in there and brought it to their attention and they said it connected fine and was working properly when clearly it sounded like crap...
I'll see if I can find my old paperwork with the TSB info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts