Impala Forums banner

201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
You do not need to (and in fact, probably shouldn't) sand and prime before plasti dipping. Read the thread "everything you need to know about plasti dip" and it should explain a lot

With paint, yes, you'll need to sand and prime

As for clear coat, I'd clear the paint, but not the dip. There is a special clear coat made for dip that will still peel when dry (traditional clear coat will make removing dip later a PITA)

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I didn't sand or primer any of the stuff I plasti-dipped and it seemed to stick just fine. I think the sanding and primer is only if you are using real paint...

I wouldn't sand or primer anything that you plasti-dip. One of the benefits of plasti-dip is that it's removable. If you sand and primer things, you'll be able to remove the plasti-dip, but then you'll be left with ugly, primered surfaces!

EDIT: Sorry, just read that you plan on painting the trim. Personally, I wouldn't do that - I'd go with plastidip. What happens if you paint the trim yellow and hate it? Since you've sanded and primered it, there would be no way to return to the original finish. I would use plasti-dip for everything.

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
I believe its just held on by standard body clips. Should be pretty simple to remove

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Why did u use so much tape? U know u don't have to mask of the trim piece right? U mask a larger area off around it, use paper for overspray. Once it's dried you peel the excess dip off.

Why did the dip suck? Many have used it without troubles

I have it on my rims and computer case.

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
G25, he was re-doing it with paint instead since the dip is known to peel quite easily from the window trim if you hang your arm out the window

201 - 211 of 211 Posts