Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
He just means chrome pillars.

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
I actually think he was asking what to do if the chrome window trim is starting to oxidize/delaminate.

I base this off of "chrome edge banding around the windows"

Reactions: TxImpala89

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Not sure on the 8th gen, but on the 7th gen the piece is riveted in through the window channel

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
It'll come off, you just need to drill out the rivets, and install new ones when you go to put it back on

Reactions: KCJC2011

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
Has anyone removed the B pillars from an 07 Impala SS or similar? Is there or is there not a screw? Any pointers, I think there are like three clips underneath but that's all I can come up with.
After breaking a couple clips and cracking an applique almost in half, I've figured out how to safely remove them without damaging them.

8th gen Applique (Pillar) Removal
  • You have to remove the screws from the rain guard trim on each window. There is 1 screw on the inside of the door edge at end of trim. The rain guard trim on rear windows can easily be removed after screw is out. Lift up on door edge where you removed screw and pull them out. The front window rain gaurds will be able to move but not remove entirely like back ones without mirror removal. (at least I haven't figured out yet)
  • After screws are removed you need to pry between applique on the inside edge of window until you here the 3 clips pop out. All while your palms are pressed against door edge of applique. The next step is important.
  • You will need to play and wiggle with the outer edges and try to slide down the applique a little. There is a tiny tab at top of appliqiques that slides underneath the chrome window trim to keep it flush. If you try to pull off with out sliding tab out you'll probably break them. No biggie on those but the outside clips that hang on door edge are the important ones. If you pry out to hard when you release the clips you risk chance of breaking door edge clip. This is why I said to keep your palms on the door edge while carefully prying out clips.
  • After clips are out and tab is from behind trim, the applique should be able to slide off with a little manuevering.
Hope this helps. Since I've been doing this I haven't had any problems with their removal, and it has become quite easy since after getting a feel for them. Still not a cheap lesson.:bang: If you have any questions please feel free to hit me up on here or message me. I'll help you out the best I can.

The cracked one I replaced cost me $60 and I'd like to help anybody avoid what I did if possible. Oddly enough the right rear one I cracked cost more than its counterpart on the left regardless of the the dealership or on ebay:dunno: A set of all new ones from dealership will probably cost you +$250

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
Dang would it be just easier to tape them off and paint them on the car?
You could paint them but I've heard it's hard to get a decent finish on them. If you have experience by all means go for it. I tried painting mine at first and it turned out like you know what! Why I didn't even mention that, lol. I think WallyLo is the only one on this forum I know that painted them. My skills as a painter aren't that good but hopefully you could get better results. The matte finish of plastidip looks good but I noticed if you put any type of gloss finish it just texturizes, grrrrrr!

The appliques are much easier to paint, dip, vinyl when off so don't let taking them off discourage you out of it. Like I said it's not that hard. Its just getting the feel down 1st. Those or getting the pillar covers are your viable options. Tried 3 of the 4. Vinyl wrap is next. I like the piano gloss covers, but mine faded and turned blurple after a summer and they do not cover the entire rear appliques from any manufacturers I know of. Some of the chrome pillars do cover that round bevel on rears. I thought about getting those again and either painting gloss black or seeing what that duplicolor black shadow chrome kit would look like... Decisions... decisions

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dang would it be just easier to tape them off and paint them on the car?
I had some that appeared to have something that had run down the appliques like dried car wash or something similar. I taped mine off and used SEM color coat. You'll need to wash them with something like Dawn to get all the residues off, cover everything to prevent overspray, use the SEM prep spray, which is alcohol based, and the SEM coat. It's used for interior components mostly, but it's been a year since I painted them with the SEM coat and they've been perfect...no fading, no blemishing, no wear or wash off.

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
I had some that appeared to have something that had run down the appliques like dried car wash or something similar. I taped mine off and used SEM color coat. You'll need to wash them with something like Dawn to get all the residues off, cover everything to prevent overspray, use the SEM prep spray, which is alcohol based, and the SEM coat. It's used for interior components mostly, but it's been a year since I painted them with the SEM coat and they've been perfect...no fading, no blemishing, no wear or wash off.
Did you use one of the black colors or the clear gloss?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you use one of the black colors or the clear gloss?
I used SEM Colorcoat Satin Black #15243. It gave me the exact OEM finish. It's been on all the appliques now for over a year. There has been no fading, staining, or loss of the finish. Let me know if ya' need a pic! :eek:k3:

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
ok, so i plan on plasti dipping my pillars tomorrow and i have some questions

#1, with some good coats, will the plasti dip even out the surface or will you see the different texture from spraying over them

#2, from some of the responses, spraying the gloss finish messes up the texture?

any tips or suggestions?

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
Kind of along the same thing, the chrome window trim. I just saw a Mercedes with this trim on youtube painted yellow. And I love it, for those that have painted the chrome trim around the windows, how or where did you tape off? did you paint everything up to the actual paint job? Tips would be great and pics!!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I believe most use plasti-dip as it's way easier

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Yes

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
So a question about the pillars and the chrome trim. Should I prep it by sanding and using primer? I am going to plastidip the pillars black, do I need to primer and sand? And the trim I am going to paint yellow, so I sand and primer that as well? And what about clear coating both or either?

181 - 200 of 211 Posts