Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to have a write up to share with everyone that I think will be useful to know. I have done some research as of late and I found that the use of LEDs are not ideal in headlights/tail lights that are not designed for them. I have found brighter bulbs that will fit in place and work just like the original model of bulb just brighter output. Bulb life can very.

Side marker bulbs stock: 194 25 lumens
Side marker bulbs upgrade: 168 35 lumens, W5W 50 lumens, 3652 75 lumens or 2886x 85 lumens but can be hard to find so I found

Brake/tail light bulb stock: 3057 major filament 400 lumens
Brake/tail light bulb upgrade: 3457 major filament 500 lumens

Front turn signal stock: 3157NA major filament 400 lumens
Front turn signal stock: 3457NA major filament 500 lumens

Low beam bulb stock: H11 1250 lumens
Low beam bulb upgrade: H9 with slight tab modification 2100 lumens

I am considering upgrading my fog lights to H9 but I am worried about heat damage. Please let me know if this is a safe upgrade.

I have found this article and is inspired me to upgrade my reverse lights but this may be a risky upgrade for long term operation: Gy6.35 HIR 921 reverse light upgrade (vs high power LEDs)

Let me know what you guys think. So far my impala has been great. With about 15,000 kms
on the car already I have only replaced the battery which I think was the original rated a 6 year battery that lasted aout 7 years and an actuator motor of which I expected but I was sore for about a week bending like a pretzel for hours on my knees to replace it. Battery $150 CAD and a genuine actuator motor $45 CAD and all installed by me, not bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I installed the reverse light mod a few days ago I just checked on it tonight and i saw is was starting to melt the fixture at the bottom where the bulb comes the closest to the reflective surface, luckily I caught it before a hole was created, as a result of this I would not recommed this mod even though it is significantly brighter then even a good LED bulb is used. If you do decide to install this mod try to aim the bulb up and farther away from the lower surface of teh reflector but who knows what bumps in the road could do to see the bulb drop. Try at your own risk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a comparison of the side marker lights, left side being the standard 194 and the right being 2886x, the diference in brightness is huge.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts