Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just found a complete dual exhaust system on craigslist that came out of a 91 caprice. Mine is a 78, is there any reason it wouldn't swap over?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is definitely not a stock '91 Caprice exhaust. The dual exit cat converter and the dual mufflers/tailpipes are definitely custom.

I know that basic chasis didn't change much from 1977 to 1996, but the bodies did. I would think that that front part (cat and forward) would be a direct fit. I am not sure about the back half [the mandrel bends show that it is definitely aftermarket], but it should be close.

If you don't have a sawzall and a welder, then my guess is that you could take that to a good muffler shop [a local mom-pop type not a chain like Tuffy or Midas] and they would be able to fit for not too much $$$ (compared to what you would get charged to make one from scratch).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew it wasn't stock, I just don't know about the fit... I would expect it to, but I can't blow the money if it doesn't. On the plus side, those are flowmasters, so for $250 that's a pretty good deal since they sell at $120 each.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
IS YOUR CAR A 305 CUS THIS WAS OFF A 305 or maybe the 350 i think my 350 had a single exhaust ..... but like was stated above take it to a small muffler shop and they can prob make it work ...... ask the guy whos selling it thats thats the only way u will buy it:biggrin::eek:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wouldn't buy it for the Flowmasters. They are highly overrated and don't flow as well as many other brands. There are many other mufflers that sound and flow better for the same or less $$$. You probably won't have a problem with them since they will still be better than a stock single muffler on a stock or slightly modified older 305/350.

It might worth that much used because of the cat conv and the mandrel bent rear pipes. A good local muffler shop would probably charge less than $100 to make them fit. I had my stock mufflers cut off and Summit Turbos put on my '96 RMW, including cutting off the old hangers and reusing them and extension and reduction piping, for less than $50 labor. Again, stay away from the chain places; they will charge you something rediculous to do it.

Do the rest of us a favor and find out what the parts were originally designed to fit. My guess is that cats came from some kind of truck, the tail pipes are '94-6 Caprice/Impala, the head/y-pipe is stock pre-'94 Caprice [hopefully the larger '93 9C1], but I am not sure about the middle pipes [maybe custom bent; see the pinched bends]. There are a lot of people with older b-bodies that are trying to put on some kind of dual exhaust and that might be quasi-legal and looks like it doesn't require modifying the transmission crossmember.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the phone he was telling me it was completely custom, apparently he just had it done then totaled the car 100 miles later. I am headed over to look at it after work today with my caprice, I'll eyeball it in the driveway to see if there will be any obvious issues. If it looks okay, I'll bring it home and try to hang it myself before I bother with a shop. My only real concern right now is where it makes the split, will the driveline interfere?

·
Registered
371 Posts
On the phone he was telling me it was completely custom, apparently he just had it done then totaled the car 100 miles later. I am headed over to look at it after work today with my caprice, I'll eyeball it in the driveway to see if there will be any obvious issues. If it looks okay, I'll bring it home and try to hang it myself before I bother with a shop. My only real concern right now is where it makes the split, will the driveline interfere?
I doubt it. If it didn't interfere on the original car, it shouldn't on yours. Though from what I see I kind of doubt it has less than 100 miles on it. Looks like heat or burn marks at the outlet of the cat and the inlet to the mufflers. That wouldn't happen in less than 100 miles.

FWIW, I'd save a few more $, find a muffler guy you can trust and buy a nice new custom dual exhaust for your car. But that's just my 2 cents.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the system was welded, so that could account for the discolorations you noted. But, like I said before, I'm gonna take a look this evening and see it with my own eyes. And I will decide from there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, the system was welded, so that could account for the discolorations you noted. But, like I said before, I'm gonna take a look this evening and see it with my own eyes. And I will decide from there.
Oh sor sure, obviously! And I cannot see all that well on the pics but it does look directional to me. But hey, I'm no expert.

Good luck with that and let us know!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do, I hope it works out too, my stock system is totally shot. It's restricted...somewhere. There is a big hole between the cat and muffler that I have patched with a tin can and some hose clamps, and the tailpipe is all discombobulated, it got smashed shut once and I opened it back up with a screwdriver. Ah... now I'm getting nostalgic over my misspent youth.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Will do, I hope it works out too, my stock system is totally shot. It's restricted...somewhere. There is a big hole between the cat and muffler that I have patched with a tin can and some hose clamps, and the tailpipe is all discombobulated, it got smashed shut once and I opened it back up with a screwdriver. Ah... now I'm getting nostalgic over my misspent youth.
Hell, for 3 or 4 months I just had a cat and 1/2 of the offset pipe hanging there. I just recently put a cherry bomb muffler on it and it sounds... uh.. not too bad, but not great either.

I'm saving up for a new cat or 3 so I can go true dual!:cool:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, but if this exhaust is as nice as it sounds to be, I'm all over it. I am a little tired of breathing exhaust whenever I sit at a light with my windows down. Exhaust should exit out the back, not right under the passenger seat! Plus I'm trying to make the car make more pleasant noises than it used to, you know, like rumble rumble as opposed to rat-a-tat-tat and jingle-jingle and those sorts of things.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought it, it is in great shape, the stickers are still on the pipes. The discoloration at the cat is just the blueing on the cat itself where it peeks out from under the heat shield. I haven't fitted it yet, but it looks like it will work. The guy cut it at the Y-pipe, and after the mufflers for transport, and he thought that would make it fit in a trunk :confused: Well, luckily I had a couple big old blankets that I wrapped around the cat and mufflers. I rested the mufflers on the package tray and the cat up by the passenger dash area, and put the y and tailpipes in the trunk. A couple of the hangers were also cut since it was removed from a total, so I pretty much need to take it to a shop. That may be a week or two, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought it, it is in great shape, the stickers are still on the pipes. The discoloration at the cat is just the blueing on the cat itself where it peeks out from under the heat shield. I haven't fitted it yet, but it looks like it will work. The guy cut it at the Y-pipe, and after the mufflers for transport, and he thought that would make it fit in a trunk :confused: Well, luckily I had a couple big old blankets that I wrapped around the cat and mufflers. I rested the mufflers on the package tray and the cat up by the passenger dash area, and put the y and tailpipes in the trunk. A couple of the hangers were also cut since it was removed from a total, so I pretty much need to take it to a shop. That may be a week or two, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Nice! Well good luck then. I would imagine you can get it fit and mounted nicely for what... less than $100?

·
Banned
351 Posts
I cant imagine it would cost less than $100 but it sounds like you got a great find... Let us know how it turns out please :wink:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:biggrin:good luck :eek: let us know hiow it sounds .... i know i jsut got m muffler delete and couldnt be more happy w/ the growling of my lt1 people kinda shit themselves when they here that coming out of what they thought was grandmas ride!!!!!!:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts