Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2013 Impala LTZ. I was looking online for exhaust tips and stumbled onto this forum. So I figured I would ask what exhaust tips is everyone using.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Me too - Walmart actually has a few different types that work well on the Impala. They have smaller one and larger ones. Both are very inexpensive and stainless steel. I can provide links to them if needed...

·
Registered
368 Posts

I grossly overspent for the GM # 12499352 exhaust finishers, but I like them.

Reactions: TSS

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts

These are stainless Gibson tips.....also not inexpensive.......but top quality....... bolt on......Something else I like about them is that when you're looking at them dead on from the rear, you don't see the exhaust pipe within the tip. The tip itself goes from a larger diameter to a smaller diameter so you don't see the pipe within the pipe. Wish I had a dead on picture, but if you look at the GM tips, you know what I'm talking about. It was a tossup between these and the GM tips, that was the "tipping" point for me. LOL..... although I liked the rolled nature of the GM, these are not rolled.

·
Registered
368 Posts
These are stainless Gibson tips.....also not inexpensive.......but top quality....... bolt on......Something else I like about them is that when you're looking at them dead on from the rear, you don't see the exhaust pipe within the tip. The tip itself goes from a larger diameter to a smaller diameter so you don't see the pipe within the pipe. Wish I had a dead on picture, but if you look at the GM tips, you know what I'm talking about. It was a tossup between these and the GM tips, that was the "tipping" point for me. LOL..... although I liked the rolled nature of the GM, these are not rolled.
The "step" inside the GM exhaust finishers is visible only when they're first installed (above photo). Everything inside there is covered with black carbon deposits after a month or so of driving, so you can't see it. I'll try to remember to take a photo when I get home to show what it looks like now.

Cheers!

T-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks everyone. Has anyone used tips with 4" outlet? Do they look good being that big? What about clearance between the bumper and tip?

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
The "step" inside the GM exhaust finishers is visible only when they're first installed (above photo). Everything inside there is covered with black carbon deposits after a month or so of driving, so you can't see it. I'll try to remember to take a photo when I get home to show what it looks like now.

Cheers!

T-

I do know what you're talking about. Had several cars that had stainless GM tips from the factory with the same design, including our current 2017 Buick. You are correct, it's less noticeable over time, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually cleans pretty thoroughly my exhaust tips and the inside carbon, so I guess mine remain more obvious. I know that if I left it it would look better.lol

Like I said, I like the rolled tip nature of the GM better.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Exhaust tips

Me too - Walmart actually has a few different types that work well on the Impala. They have smaller one and larger ones. Both are very inexpensive and stainless steel. I can provide links to them if needed...
Hi Trosky - please post link(s) or specifics. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
These are the two I've personally used:

3.25" (PM-552-WK1) - about $10:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pilot-Automotive-Round-Slant-Resonated-3-1-2/35680175

2.75" (PM-581) - about $15:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pilot-Automotive-PM-581-Round-Stainless-Steel-Bolt-On-Exhaust-Tip-Fits-2-75-inch-Outlet/40614382

And here are some comparison pics of the two different sizes as well as pictures of my car with each size:

Comparison pics:

When I had the 2.75" versions installed:

And finally, I currently have the 3.25" versions on my car:

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've noticed in the install instructions for some tips (GM tips?) that you must first cut off a few inches from the exhaust pipe. Has anyone does this? I'm looking for tips that do not require any cutting. Thank you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've noticed in the install instructions for some tips (GM tips?) that you must first cut off a few inches from the exhaust pipe. Has anyone does this? I'm looking for tips that do not require any cutting. Thank you.
CORRECTION: I meant tail pipe, not exhaust pipe.

Two terms for the same thing, I think.

If you don't cut a few inches from each pipe, the GM stainless finishers will stick out well beyond the rear fascia, or the pipe will protrude too far into the finisher, producing a "pipe-within-a-pipe" appearance. This will be true for any finishers of the same length.

Some don't mind, but I would, so I cut a few inches from my pipes with a Saws-All. It only took a few minutes, and it's not as if I'm ever going to remove the finishers and want the pipe back again.

If you don't want to cut your pipes, you'll need to use exhaust finishers shorter than the GM parts.

Cheers!

T-

Reactions: 2016LimtedLTZ

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
No - you don't need to cut your pipes for the Walmart tips (I've used both styles). Depending on how far you want the tips to stick out, you just push them on furhter. :) You *can* get the "pipe in a pipe" effect as mentioned above (if you push them on far enough), but since everything gets coated in carbon anyway, you really can't see it anyway (I acutally think it looks kind of cool if you do get close enough to really see it).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts