Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering I am looking at putting some tips on my factory exhaust on my 2013 Chevrolet impala I have magnaflow 2.25" inlet tip I am wondering do they normally just slip it over the factory tip and weld it on. I am not a fan on how you can see the factory tip inside the aftermarket tip. If you have aftermarket tips on your exhaust could you post some pictures

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am wondering I am looking at putting some tips on my factory exhaust on my 2013 Chevrolet impala I have magnaflow 2.25" inlet tip I am wondering do they normally just slip it over the factory tip and weld it on. I am not a fan on how you can see the factory tip inside the aftermarket tip. If you have aftermarket tips on your exhaust could you post some pictures
Both weld-on and clamp-on tips are available. I went with genuine GM clamp-on tips and have been completely happy with them.

If you don't want your tips sticking way out past the rear bumper (ghetto style), you'll need to cut a few inches from the ends of the factory pipes. I used a saws-all to cut mine. I know what you mean about not wanting to see the factory pipe inside the new tip. With the GM tips, you will initially see the original pipe inside. But not for long, as long as you don't polish the INSIDE of your tips - some members here do. I don't, and it didn't take more than a few weeks for the soot inside the pipes to completely obscure the step between the factory pipe and the tip. See below ...

Right after installation:

A month later:

Looks fine to me. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts

Those PT Cruiser tips look pretty nice.

The major difference I've noticed among many of the offerings is the attachment hardware provided. The GM tips come with wide, heavy duty band clamps that use beefy nuts and bolts to secure them to the pipe. They won't deform the pipes and will never loosen up on their own.

Another difference is that some of the inexpensive ones tend to be chrome, rather than polished stainless and/or much thinner gauge, and some don't have rolled ends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those PT Cruiser tips look pretty nice.

The major difference I've noticed among many of the offerings is the attachment hardware provided. The GM tips come with wide, heavy duty band clamps that use beefy nuts and bolts to secure them to the pipe. They won't deform the pipes and will never loosen up on their own.

Another difference is that some of the inexpensive ones tend to be chrome, rather than polished stainless and/or much thinner gauge, and some don't have rolled ends.
The PT Cruiser ones also come with deluxe hardware, very professional looking install.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Had these sitting on my shelf forever... had a shop weld them on, can't tell the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
My friend who worked as a mechanic for several years always joked that it is a little known fact that chrome exhaust tips add 20-40 horse power to the vehicle. And you can't imagine how much HP is gained from a chrome shift knob. :D

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
My friend who worked as a mechanic for several years always joked that it is a little known fact that chrome exhaust tips add 20-40 horse power to the vehicle. And you can't imagine how much HP is gained from a chrome shift knob. :D
The 20 I believe. But you only get the 40 when combined with a cold air intake :)

Doug

·
Registered
630 Posts
C'mon guys, electric turbo chargers are all the rage!

·
Super Moderator
10,560 Posts
I recommend stainless steel over chrome , not as shinny but stand up better to harsh winters

·
Super Moderator
10,726 Posts

GIBSON stainless steel slant tip, clamp-on.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Installed 2 ss tips from Wallyworld ($10/ea.) in '13 on my '13 LT. A few months later found 6 more ss tips in Wallyworld's clearance aisle for $5/ea. and installed 2 on my '12 LT and 2 last year on my son's '16 LT Limited. All 3 sets still look good! It's been 6 yrs. for the '12/'13.

·
Super Moderator
10,726 Posts
Installed 2 ss tips from Wallyworld ($10/ea.) in '13 on my '13 LT. A few months later found 6 more ss tips in Wallyworld's clearance aisle for $5/ea. and installed 2 on my '12 LT and 2 last year on my son's '16 LT Limited. All 3 sets still look good! It's been 6 yrs. for the '12/'13.
Super glad that worked out for you. I have had hit-and-miss luck with so-called stainless steel tips at National retailers. They look good for a little bit and then they start to rust despite the stainless steel claims.

·
Super Moderator
10,726 Posts
Super glad that worked out for you. I have had hit-and-miss luck with so-called stainless steel tips at National retailers. They look good for a little bit and then they start to rust despite the stainless steel claims.

·
Super Moderator
10,560 Posts
Quality does count , mine are Magnaflow and they look like they did 8 years ago

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
We mustn't forget the shackles on the rear end to ensure all that extra horsepower gets put to good use !

Doug

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts