Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 Impala ls with the 3.5l motor and single exit exhaust. Would it be possible, if I were to get the exhaust from a 3.9l or 5.3l car, to swap in the dual exhaust, and I would like to know if the exhausts share any parts, and it they follow the same path. If there is a point in the exhaust where they both use the same pipe, it would be nice to know so I could start the swap there.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, all the engines have the same exhaust, except with the duals it splits at a Y junction. I don't think any is a true dual setup. Should be a simple swap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
have an 06 swapped with a 3.9 dual from a 9C1... just remember to get the second set of hangers for the driver side muffler AND there is a hanger that bolts into the frame just before the Y-pipe. You can get it from the dealer for about $8... (front hanger) took the tech about 15 minutes to find the part I needed

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have an '09 LT with 3.5, and I bought the Magnaflow catback exhaust. You will need to buy the driver-side hanger that bolts to the frame (kinda under trunk). You unbolt the factory exhaust at the rear of the cat, and everything else is held on by rubber hangers. Im pretty sure that The exhausts all follow the same Patterns on for the 8th gens, and the magnaflow kit bolts together and also follows the same path and hangs on the factory hangers. The kit is made from stainless steel, so it will last longer than the rest of the car!
It only took me about an hour to complete the swap. And you get a little better fuel economy and a little more fun to drive.

I can't remember the part numbers off hand, but I can look at my invoices and get the Chevy and Magnaflow part numbers if anybody wants them. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll snap a picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts