Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 07 imp. ls i am thinking replacing the pipe/tip or w/e the thing is called at the bottom of the car where exhaust fumes come out of (muffler) would having a bigger diameter tip help ? What is the stock diameter for the factory muffler ?

Plus whats the fuss about having bigger tips ? does it even help car in any shape or form w/e or is just a sales pitch that your car will sound better, perform better give better mileage and what not if you get bigger better exhaust system or change your muffler or tips ..

btw.. what is the difference in changing exhaust system and just replacing the pipe with bigger diameter pipe ? Was thinking of getting magnaflow dual pipes but would that require changing out more than just the factory tip/muffler or entire exhaust system ? If i am not mistaken this cannot be done at home garage because welding might be required ?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
tips do nothing performance wise, they will change the pitch slightly. Depending on the exhaust setup bigger tips may give it a raspy sound. Going up in exhaust size to a certain extent can help with performance. If your wanting performance maybe step up to a 2 3/4 inch or maybe 3 inch custom cat back system. y pipe with dual mufflers (your preference of sound ). I wouldn't go over 4 inch tips. If you do a o2 sensor simulator step up the entire system from manifold back to a 2 3/4 or 3in with a high flow cat with the o2 simulator behind the high flow cat.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
A catback system is probably your best bet. That is an exhaust that you just bolt in place of your existing one, from the cat backwards. No welding or fitting required, just 2 bolts and a few hangers.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
A catback system is probably your best bet. That is an exhaust that you just bolt in place of your existing one, from the cat backwards. No welding or fitting required, just 2 bolts and a few hangers.
Magnaflow Catback Stainless Steel exhaust is the best way to go. I bought it from these guys and had a shop install it. Shipping is free. I love it. My mufflers went bad after only 4 years, so I had to change them, and since the exhaust is one solid piece, might as well change everything.

Magnaflow Exhaust - Magnaflow Catback Exhaust

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also have a v8 car and not a v6
Makes sense.. we should steal his engine and swap with one of our V6's and will see if he notices the difference :hope:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts