Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked through some threads about some performance things on here. Im contemplating on doing some exhaust work but want to keep it a single out exhaust. I want some sound to it but not much. Would a header kit do the job without sounding bad on the stock muffler. Would the header kit make much difference on the power? and should i just do the muffler or what not... Also is their any easy performance chips you can install or are their just piggy backs. Ive seen the overkill tune mentioned a few times. I would like to keep the car for a long while and not suffer any thing from it in the future.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
3800? If so, headers would give you a little bit of gain, not sure about the sound. You will also want to do a "U-bend delete", that's replacing the section of pipe behind the cat where that stupid bend is for the o2 sensor, it seriously restricts flow. Don't get any tuner chips, the computer doesn't use a chip, so any such thing you buy will just piggyback and screw things up. A proper PCM tune is the only way to go, most prefer overkill, but there are a handful of others as well if you want to explore your options. If you have a 3400, you can't get headers, but the rest still applies.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, i have a spare thrush glass pack laying around. im thinking about using it to replace the stock muffler. but i dont want it raspy, just a low rumble. on my s10 i did just that and it sounded awesome. not loud but deep.. i can find vids with impalas with glass packs but they always have others things upgraded like headers and high flow cat or no resonator. none with just a after market muffler.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The stock cat and resonator will keep the volume down, just replacing the muffler will usually give a nice low tone.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock cat and resonator will keep the volume down, just replacing the muffler will usually give a nice low tone.
i found one vid with a universal flowmaster installed, thats all he did. little loud for my taste. is there anything in between stock and flowmaster you would recomend

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
do a u bend delete and magnaflow with a resonator. its not much louder than stock with the resonator but it has a nice rumble.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do a u bend delete and magnaflow with a resonator. its not much louder than stock with the resonator but it has a nice rumble.
I'm definitely going with a magnaflow, watched a lot of vids comparing mufflers, I liked then the most. I'll order one as soon as I can.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I don't know about magnaflow, but flowmaster has different "series" of mufflers that are different sound levels, basically the lower the number, the louder it is. Most guys tend to go with the 40 series, there have been a couple 10's, but a 70 series would probably get you what you're looking for. Magnaflow probably has the same deal, but I don't know.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Generally headers come with a downpipe. I would personally get either a downpipe or replace the cat, u-bend delete, resonator delete, and new muffler. I had mine removed and barely could hear a difference. It's just more restriction if you ask me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a single thrush muffler (flowmaster knock off) that gives it a really nice low resonence. Pretty throaty too makes it sound like it has somethig hunder the hood but not too loud that you cant hear at a drive thru.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts