Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST A HEADS UP, IF ANYONE HAVE A 2014 and up impala with less than 100k miles with this same issue you may want to finish reading this post!!! I recently purchased a used 2014 LTZ impala and maybe a day or 2 after i got it home it developed a rattling noise every time its starts up in the am and after about 15 sec it pretty much stops.. but while driving i can tell it has a exhaust leak somewhere bc i can hear it at times... anyway i took it to a muffler shop and they looked at it and they showed me where the leak is and they also stated that they wont mess with it b/c i need to take it to the dealership bc it should be covered under the federal emissions 10yr 100k warranty. The leak is a cut at the manifold where the cat bolts up to the engine and its all one piece. Anyway i took it to the dealership and sure enough they said it was covered but it was an 8yr 100k emission warranty. so they ordered the new parts and i'll go have it installed next week sometime...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same thing happened to mine. Where the bolt flange is welded to the downpipe/cat split apart. Mine went out at 80K and replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Damn you guys put a lot of miles on. We are at 25,711 miles on our 15 Impala we bought 3 years ago.

·
Registered
894 Posts
156K and no exhaust problems ..yet :)

i had heard the rattle a long time ago on startup but its not happening much anymore.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
JUST A HEADS UP, IF ANYONE HAVE A 2014 and up impala with less than 100k miles with this same issue you may want to finish reading this post!!! I recently purchased a used 2014 LTZ impala and maybe a day or 2 after i got it home it developed a rattling noise every time its starts up in the am and after about 15 sec it pretty much stops.. but while driving i can tell it has a exhaust leak somewhere bc i can hear it at times... anyway i took it to a muffler shop and they looked at it and they showed me where the leak is and they also stated that they wont mess with it b/c i need to take it to the dealership bc it should be covered under the federal emissions 10yr 100k warranty. The leak is a cut at the manifold where the cat bolts up to the engine and its all one piece. Anyway i took it to the dealership and sure enough they said it was covered but it was an 8yr 100k emission warranty. so they ordered the new parts and i'll go have it installed next week sometime...

https://gm.oemdtc.com/6363/pip5419-crack-around-left-hand-catalytic-converter-mounting-flange-2014-2017-chevrolet-impala-2013-2017-cadillac-xts#more-6363

·
Registered
8 Posts
PIP5419 has been replaced by 17-NA-321, I can't find a link to it online anywhere.
My '16 with 76k has a cracked flange, took it to the local dealer and he says he won't cover it because the powertrain warranty is expired. I asked about the emissions warranty and he said that would only cover if the converter was plugged, not the cracked flange. Now what? They want $1000 to replace the converter, or they'll try to weld the crack for $300.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealership says it is GM who is denying the warranty. Their definition of what a catalytic converter is does not match mine. To me, the converter starts at the flange on the manifold, and ends at the flange at the Y pipe. They have some other definition, they're saying it does not include the material from the fat part where the catalytic material is contained to the end of the flanges. So they're denying the catalytic convertor is faulty, even though the recommended way to repair this is to replace the catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Incorrect. It is an 8year/80,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
PIP5419 has been replaced by 17-NA-321, I can't find a link to it online anywhere.
My '16 with 76k has a cracked flange, took it to the local dealer and he says he won't cover it because the powertrain warranty is expired. I asked about the emissions warranty and he said that would only cover if the converter was plugged, not the cracked flange. Now what? They want $1000 to replace the converter, or they'll try to weld the crack for $300.
I found the following:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 impala v6. It started at 20k making an “exhaust tick” noise for about ten sec on cold startup and the cabin had an exhaust smell. Sounded like a moped for ten seconds. No engine light. The dealer replaced the cat on bank 2 for free for a cracked flange weld... it then did it AGAIN at 50k ( 3 yr and three months from purchase) and it was the same cat (that had been replaced w new ) at the same weld spot and they replaced the catalytic again. Now good again. Hmmm, sound like a flaw?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2017 impala v6. It started at 20k making an “exhaust tick” noise for about ten sec on cold startup and the cabin had an exhaust smell. Sounded like a moped for ten seconds. No engine light. The dealer replaced the cat on bank 2 for free for a cracked flange weld... it then did it AGAIN at 50k ( 3 yr and three months from purchase) and it was the same cat (that had been replaced w new ) at the same weld spot and they replaced the catalytic again. Now good again. Hmmm, sound like a flaw?
Its definitely a flaw. If you look at the design, there is literally nothing supporting that cat other than the flange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts