Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 209 Posts

·
BlackNeSS-Monster
62 Posts
There are a good amount with flowmasters on them, just not on this thread... yet. Please post it up we'd be glad to have it on here.

Good...I hope some of the guys chime in with their setups then !

I owned/operated an exhaust shop for 6-7 yrs...so I know a bit about exhaust...but once you're out of it...if you're not seeing & hearing them...installed on the cars...it's hard to know exactly what they're gonna sound like !

I'm mainly interested in the res deleted.....flow 40's vs res deleted flow 44's......and also would like to hear a few with res deleted & Borla's or Magnaflow's on them too.

I'd prefer as little drone as possible....at 65-75 mph (which...I realize...is hard to accomplish).....but that's why flowmaster changed some of their "OG" 2 chamber'd mufflers to their newer "Delta Flow" technology...years ago...(to decrease the drone @ highway speeds).

So I'm sure that either the 44 or the 40...or one of their other series....has been designed with this in mind for GM's LS series of V-8's....I'd imagine so anyways.

I've always been a flowmaster lover....but there are lots of muff's out there nowadays.... that use the same noise canceling technology as flowmaster.....like Flowtech...or flopro....etc...

Basically..I like most any welded...square bodied muffler that has noise canceling diverters .......instead of tubes with HOLES in it (like most "TURBO" type mufflers).........or packing/batting (like glasspacks).

ArOn

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Delta Flow will still drone, 2 chamber mufflers are some of the worst flowing on the market. If you want something with no drone whatsoever but an almost straight pipe sound during full throttle, check out the dynomax VT mufflers.

I say this as another flowmaster owner (40 series) it drones like crazy, but I like it too much to change it out

·
BlackNeSS-Monster
62 Posts
Yea....I know that they'll still have some drone...but not nearly as much as the older FM's had...or at least I'd imagine not anyways !

I still haven't seen or heard any comparison's between the 40's and the 44's.....and would like to hear a few of them....I'll keep looking around to see what I can find out about it. (I'm searching youtube vids right now)

Flow #'s don't bother me as much as it may bother others....because I'm aware of the fact that if you're going to be driving it daily....you have to live with the pro's & con's of each upgrade that you might choose.

Sound is what matters mostly to me because the overall differences in the power that each one makes......is usually pretty small...especially in real world daily driving.

I'd imagine that MOST...upper end/"Performance" mufflers (FM/BORLA/MAGNAFLOW..etc)...when added to a 5.3 equipped SS Impala...along with a decent tune and CAI.....well..I'm guessing here....but I'd bet most end up with around the same overall power increase #'s....when combined ...in unison.... with the other upgrades.

So to me....it makes sense to go with the Sound that you prefer...unless there's going to be a HUGE difference in the final power output #'s.

Mainly...I'll be in search of a few extra MPG's and a bit of rumble/performance.

Let me know if there are any dyno specs or tests that have shown that one is clearly .....far superior...to the others (when combined with tune/CAI) ....because if it's a HUGE power difference...then I might sway one way or the other !

But mostly....I'm like you...and I just LOVE the sound of FM's....and once you're hooked on that sound...nothing else seems to compare !! LOL

ArOn

G

·
0 Posts
heres some flowmasters super 40's with no resonators

and heres one of our members my08impalass

he has super 44's with no resonators

·
BlackNeSS-Monster
62 Posts
Thanks!

I really like both of those...with the 44's being more to my liking....and I've actually ran across both of those vids on Youtube over the past week or so...already ! LOL

I'm really wanting to hear the same 2 muffler setups....in comparison like that.....but with the resonator's still ON the cars....just to hear the differences.

I'll probably end up tuning the DOD out....because I really don't like the way that it sounds...when you alter the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like the sound of some of these. I'm ready to do something to my exhaust. I REALLY like the sound of the Borla touring mufflers on the Camaro V6 and I'm wondering what they might sound like on my 3.9L LTZ... Has anybody heard them before? What are most of you guys with this motor running? I want some rumble, but I've got to keep it mild since I do carry the family in the car and use it for work. I'd actually just like to buy the mufflers and have a custom bent aluminum pipe setup. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks Impaler. I think that's what I'm going to do. I've got a guy here in Charleston that I've had do every exhaust system for all my trucks over the years. He does a fantastic job with aluminum piping so the systems last a long time and have a really nice sound to them. I'll have to post a sound clip when it's done - probably be a while - got to get tires soon - something about prioritizing car purchases when you have a family to feed...

·
Registered
418 Posts
All these exhaust clips are great, but nobody is saying anything about drone inside the cars. Are any of you having issues with that? That's one thing I have to watch out for because my wife seems to be really sensitive to that when we're at highway speeds. I LOVE a good, deep exhaust note, but gotta keep the family happy now too! Funny, when I met my wife I drove a 91 Chevy 1500 with a 350 bored out to a 383, supercharged, with long tube headers, and a custom built all aluminum Dynomax exhaust system. She used to know I was coming to get her before I even turned on her street. Now, everything has to be nice and quiet for family adventures... Little does she know that will change again...:devil:

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All these exhaust clips are great, but nobody is saying anything about drone inside the cars. Are any of you having issues with that? That's one thing I have to watch out for because my wife seems to be really sensitive to that when we're at highway speeds. I LOVE a good, deep exhaust note, but gotta keep the family happy now too! Funny, when I met my wife I drove a 91 Chevy 1500 with a 350 bored out to a 383, supercharged, with long tube headers, and a custom built all aluminum Dynomax exhaust system. She used to know I was coming to get her before I even turned on her street. Now, everything has to be nice and quiet for family adventures... Little does she know that will change again...:devil:
Dynomax VT is the best solution for drone on the market. I plan on getting some one day, just not now :wink: i don't have to worry about a family yet lol. And yes i have said many times (prolly not in this thread) that I have issues with drone. Typically all chambered mufflers (flowmaster for example) will drone quite a bit. There are many other variables though (pipe size/bends/cats or not... you know the list!), which is why most of the time you just have to try it to know what you like for sure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just looked that up online. Hadn't heard of that before. I like it!! Dynomax always gave me the performance and sound I wanted without too much drone or unnecessary "loudness for the sake of loudness". I can't stand a car/truck that makes a ton of noise even when it isn't going anywhere fast. If my vehicles make noise, they're going somewhere and the reason you hear it is because you're looking at the tailpipes! :)

·
Cucky
662 Posts
I wanna hear one if those mufflers in person because my buddy has a c6 with the gmpp performance exhaust which is the z06 exhaust that has the same technology as the dynomax mufflers. (confusing, i know, sorry). Haha curious how it sounds.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I wanna hear one if those mufflers in person because my buddy has a c6 with the gmpp performance exhaust which is the z06 exhaust that has the same technology as the dynomax mufflers. (confusing, i know, sorry). Haha curious how it sounds.
yea sorta lol i mean the dynomax's aren't quite as sophisticated, they only open because of airflow where as the corvette's are electronically controlled to open after ~3000 rpm.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
My 3000 post sound off has a clip from inside the Caprice at about 45-50 mph. There is drone. The windows are down though, so you will hear that as well.

here it is, if y'all wanna hear it;

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ugh it was bad enough shopping for exhaust for my Impala but after hearing that 08 looks like i have to get working on wifey's now :eek:k3:

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Papa D, the cappy sounds great! Wouldn't have the heart to take it down the dirt road though lol
Thanks Man. Unfortunately about 50% of the roads here are dirt, accept for the main highways patrolled by the State Troopers. Once I get back on the road, I am gonna take Barricade out for a spirited ride on the GOOD roads and maybe get some video of that too.

21 - 40 of 209 Posts