Impala Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I guess, but remember you're not buying just an engine on a pallet. :p Again, retooling, in a couple years, once costs have been covered, price will drop. Also, the SHO comes standard with quite a bit of stuff that is optional on other cars. The base engine puts out (yes, puts out.) more HP than the Impala. Pricing is a bit more, about $6000, but notice the difference in quality....:wink:

Taurus link: http://lethistorylive.com/2009/01/2010-ford-taurus-price-photo-detail.html

Impala link: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Impala/

Update: Impala base: 211HP
Taurus base: 263HP

Update 2: Taurus SHO 2010: Price-$37,770 (to be exact)

·
Impala Fanatic
1,261 Posts
But then again... has the Ford Taurus ever had "character?"

I mean to be honest I like the looks of the new Taurus... just not enough to justify the cost.

But back to the Caprice... I think I will have to wait till I see one one the road until I can really tell if I like it or not... I certainly like the idea of it, but they have more work to do before it can be police fleet worthy... the window switches are on the center console, which wont leave many options for equipment setup. Where is the shifter located?
No, and that's why I had hoped that Ford would change that now. Let's be honest, GM is now Government Motors but Ford has kept their act together financially and not sold their soul to Obama and UAW. Maybe I should just stop now! :bang:

·
Registered
8 Posts
After a 15-year absence patrolling U.S. streets, an all-new law-enforcement-only Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) joins GM's fleet in 2011. Although it's built on the same rear-wheel-drive Camaro and dearly-departed Pontiac G8-spawning Zeta platform, it's not a G8 sedan.

A Pontiac G8 is a Holden Commodore down under... a Chevy Caprice is the Holden Caprice with a different front end clip. Excellent car on the Australian market that dominates the Taxi and Limousine scene over there. (While Police rely more on the Commodore)

After test driving the Holden Caprice I became a big fan of it... but more than anything I liked the aggressive look of its front end which it lost after the Pontiac conversion was done (to comply with US bumper rules)

Holden was pretty badly hurt by GM USA cancelling the G8 exports... so I hope the Caprice deal will be more stable.

--Russ

·
Registered
142 Posts
its to early to see whether ford or chevy will win the cop car, war !!! its good to see them go at it, we will be the winners.. b/c they will work out problems, etc...

·
Impala Fanatic
1,261 Posts
I have to think that Chevy might take a third-place finish in this race behind the Charger and legacy Crown Vic. Here in California where there's such a deficit, many departments are hanging on to cars longer. Hell, I've seen alot of LAPD Caprice cars still running around!

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Maybe they should just buy a Camry instead... :devil:

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Just saw one today. Long and thin. (haha, guys). Something I noticed was that it was rigged as a cop car, but the decals were cheap shit and it had nav.....Civi Caprice made into cop?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't like. When I hear caprice I wanna think of my 94 9c1. Not a camry knock off. Me personally I only like old school cars. The newest car I like is the new camaro.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Don't like. When I hear caprice I wanna think of my 94 9c1. Not a camry knock off. Me personally I only like old school cars. The newest car I like is the new camaro.
LOL the new "Camry knockoff" Caprice will likely leave your LT1 standing still, and turn more heads and get better gas mileage while doing it, with the AC on... while towing.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
LOL the new "Camry knockoff" Caprice will likely leave your LT1 standing still, and turn more heads and get better gas mileage while doing it, with the AC on... while towing.
No doubt it will spank my LT1. 6.0 Liter (LS of some sort, I'm guessing) & RWD... that thing is gonna be bad ass.

·
Registered
290 Posts
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/VehicleTestBook2011_Web_mil_341027_7.pdf
it beat the new 390 hp Hemi Charger (although they claim to have had computer tuning wrong pre production). It ran the 1/4 mile in 14.64 sec at 100.26 mph to the Chargers 14.67 sec at 98.63 mph. By all rights the Charger is 200 pounds lighter with 30 more HP so it should be faster if they get it set up and tuned right.
According to those tests it's not much bigger then the current Impala, bigger in the back seat but similar in the front and smaller in the truck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Best brakes and best rear seat by far, rated much higher then even a crown vic for reat seat. Front seat nothing special.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Just posted this in Don's Thread, but I have seen it with someone pulled over at night... Damn Sexy!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts