Impala Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry @jtrosky you didn't have any luck dipping the fog openings. I actually did use a utility knife on mine. It was the retractable kind. I did let the dip dry about about an hour before I used the knife to cut the lines. I'm not sure why, but mine cut nice smooth lines. You couldn't really tell where the cut line was, I just started peeling the tape and it started to tear the dip at the cut line. I then pulled the dip with one hand and the tape with other pulling them evenly. As for getting the cut lines straight, I just held the knife as close to the "outer indentation" of the opening as I could. I tried to let the knife slide along the edge, and don't pull the knife away until you get completely around the opening.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
No need to be sorry!! It's just obvious that I *suck* at applying plastidip!!! :)

I'm going to attempt the fog-light-holes again today. Not sure what to do about the bowtie logo on the front grill. It looks *so* much better white, but I just can't seem to get nice clean lines on it. I think I might try doing the trunk emblem black today (trunk emblem will be black on a white trunk and front emblem will be white on a black grill). The back emblem should be much easier and may allow me to practice a little before moving on to the front emblem.

Any tips for the emblem? Did you tape it off and peel the tape when wet or did you use a razor blade for that as well? I really want to keep the chrome "surround" if possible...

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Actually, I just went out to plan for "round 2" of plastidipping, and I noticed that at least two spots on my upper grill are starting to peel already (the inside of two of the "honeycomb" holes is peeling). Being that I just did the grills a few months ago and I spent a LOT of time doing them "right" (front and back with LOTS of coats), I've decided against doing any further plastidipping. Just too much time and effort for something that is so "temporary", in my opinion...

I'm just going to order black grills and do the grills the right way (permanent black!). Not sure what I'm going to do with the fog-light-holes, but I'm not going to dip them, just to have them start peeling within a year. Being that the bottom of my front bumper cover is pretty scratched up (was like that when I bought it), I may just plan on getting a front bumper cover with the fog light holes already in it and get real fog lights. It'll be expensive, but it'll also be permanent and I won't waste hours upon hours doing something that lasts less than a year.

My plastidipping career is officially over for good this time! :)

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, two toning a emblem sucks. I tried my SS emblems with blue and black and meah their ok till you get close up. Dipped my pillars and trim today, it's chilly and windy and I'm 80% happy. Same with back chrome piece. Thought about doing the grill but after what you are saying I'm second thinking that.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Yeah, I've been checking pricing and I can get both grilles in black brand new for about $100. Between the 2 or 3 cans of Plastidip that I used ($25) and all of the time I put into it, it just isn't worth it. For the extra $75, I'll NEVER have to worry about peeling, fading, cracking, etc - and it will also look better.... I'm the type that would rather pay more up front and not have to deal with things ever again... I got sucked into the plastidip "trend" twice now and both times, it's pretty much been a frustrating experience with only decent results (that obviously don't last)....

You know what they say, time in money, so I've spend much more than $100 already! :) Maybe if you are like Fonzi and use Plastidip on a daily basis as your occupation, then maybe you can get better-looking, longer-lasting results, but I haven't been so lucky! :)

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Keep in mind that your grille gets the most abuse from road debris, and as such, is more likely to start peeling prematurely. I definitely recommend paint for grilles, although my paint is chipping in some places on my grille.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, I've been checking pricing and I can get both grilles in black brand new for about $100. Between the 2 or 3 cans of Plastidip that I used ($25) and all of the time I put into it, it just isn't worth it. For the extra $75, I'll NEVER have to worry about peeling, fading, cracking, etc - and it will also look better.... I'm the type that would rather pay more up front and not have to deal with things ever again... I got sucked into the plastidip "trend" twice now and both times, it's pretty much been a frustrating experience with only decent results (that obviously don't last)....

You know what they say, time in money, so I've spend much more than $100 already! :) Maybe if you are like Fonzi and use Plastidip on a daily basis as your occupation, then maybe you can get better-looking, longer-lasting results, but I haven't been so lucky! :)

If you end up buying the new black grilles, please let us know where you get them from. So far, my dipped grilles are holding up, but haven't been on near as long as yours. I may too want to upgrade to permanent black grilles also some day. I agree that the front grilles do take the most beating and will probably need to be re-dipped periodically. As for the bowties and Impala lettering, I've been really pleased with the dip.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
The way that the dip is peeling on my grille, I have a feeling I caused the damage with a hose while washing the car... I typically spray the car really well with the highest "pressure" setting on the hose and that includes the grille (to remove all of the dead bugs, etc). I'm guessing the direct water pressure caused the dip to "tear". From here, its going to be all downhill, so I'm definitely going to replace the grilles with black, factory grilles - VERY soon. Just waiting to hear back if the chevy bowtie emblem comes with the grille or not (my parts manual says it goes, but not sure it's correct). I realize that I could "re-use" my existing emblem, but for $20, I'll just buy a new one instead of prying the old one off and trying to re-apply it to the new grille.

If you are "gentle" with the dipped grilles, you'll probably have better luck than I did - I just don't like having to treat the grille in a special way to avoid damaging it while simply washing the car...

Was also looking into replacing the entire bumper cover at the same time (with the foglight bumper cover), but I think I'll hold off on the bumper cover replacement - just too much money between the cover, paint, foglight switch, "adapter" to allow using the factory foglight switch, foglight bezels and foglights themselves (we're easily talking $600+, probably even more than that). I'll probably just get "covers" for the fog-light holes for now...

The nice thing about the factory black grilles is that they aren't painted, so there is nothing to peel or get chipped - it's just unpainted, black plastic...

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
I've had my trim dipped for 8-10 months now, with some minor peeling from rock chips. Even after pressure washing it with a high power pressure washer in the self-serve car wash last night, it was no worse for wear. In fact, pressure washers are the recommended method for cleaning plasti dip, as scrubbing will cause it to peel.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I dipped my taillights white (car is white) with round cutouts for the taillights and didn't like it at all - removed it the same day. Way to dull to match the rest of the car.

If you really want to do your taillights, I'd go with Rustoleum lens tint spray. Basically, you'd apply it the same as you would apply Plastidip, but it will give a nice, shiny finish (opposite of plastidip). It will also last longer and look better. The nice thing is that you can apparently remove the spray tint too, if you'd like (per @RYD_SLO)...

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Its just a glossy spray tint. Like VHT nite shades, but better. To remove the tint, spray a heavy, wet coat on top of the dried tint, and wipe away with a rag. You may need to repeat a couple times to get it all off, but it works like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
If you end up buying the new black grilles, please let us know where you get them from. So far, my dipped grilles are holding up, but haven't been on near as long as yours. I may too want to upgrade to permanent black grilles also some day. I agree that the front grilles do take the most beating and will probably need to be re-dipped periodically. As for the bowties and Impala lettering, I've been really pleased with the dip.
FYI, I purchased two new (black) grilles today. Ended up going with genuine GM parts instead of getting aftermarket parts - there just wasn't enough of a cost difference to justify taking the "risk" on potentially lower quality parts...

22865901 Grille $63.11 1 $63.11
10333712 Grille $44.19 1 $44.19
15271899 COMPARTMENT $43.55 1 $43.55

Subtotal: $150.85
Shipping (FedEx Ground U.S. Shipping - FedEx Ground Home Delivery): $12.91
Total: $163.76

Believe it or not, the smaller grille is the one that cost $63.11. And yes, I actually paid $43 for that little tray that goes in the console armrest area (can't believe I paid as much for that stupid tray as I did for the bigger grille)!!! Waited for a while and watched Ebay, but none ever came up...

So it would have been about $120 shipped for both grilles (brand new GM grilles). I did find knock-off grilles that were cheaper, BUT the top grille, for example, didn't include the bowtie emblem on the knock-offs, so you would have had to spend another $20/$25 for the emblem, so you really don't save much with the knock-offs...

By the way, I purchased from a place called "Group 1 Auto Parts" - seemed to be about the cheapest (www.group1autoparts.com). Now I get to have the fun of removing the old grilles from the bumper cover (what a PAIN IN THE REAR)!

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
They are the honeycomb style. I believe that you can still get the horizontal style though (different part numbers, obviously).

Also, just FYI, I just noticed that you get can get the same grilles on RockAuto ("aftermarket" versions) for a lot less money - they are only about $25 each (plus shipping). However, like I mentioned earlier, I don't believe the top grille comes with the bowtie logo (maybe for copyright reasons?) and it also looks like the bowtie "mount" is different (just a rectangle instead of shaped like a bowtie - again, maybe due to copyright reasons) - also labeled as "SS" grilles specifically (even though the part numbers match up). This is kinda why I went with the genuine GM grilles - didn't want any surprises! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's awesome, Kate! Super killer job!
Did you get all your dip supplies from DYC?

That chameleon effect is spot on...

61 - 80 of 100 Posts