Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Hmm - didn't realize that - I let each coat dry for about an hour before putting the next coat on. Like I said, I didn't have any issues when removing the tape that way (while last glossifier coat was still wet), but it sounds like I could have saved some time! :)

But you definitely don't need to remove the tape between each coat - that would be VERY labor intensive to have to keep re-taping for each coat!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. All my other dip projects had a gap to tear the dip. This is the 1st one that I need to tap all the way up to the dip line. I'll let you know how it goes and post pics.

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
Hmm - didn't realize that - I let each coat dry for about an hour before putting the next coat on. Like I said, I didn't have any issues when removing the tape that way (while last glossifier coat was still wet), but it sounds like I could have saved some time! :)

But you definitely don't need to remove the tape between each coat - that would be VERY labor intensive to have to keep re-taping for each coat!

Yes, straight from Dipyourcar.com you do not have to. Just put them on quick, exactly like I explained and it turns out perfect. Just make sure you're paying attention, so that it doesn't run or drip. And it works nicely.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dipped the "fog" area last night to see what it would look like. I think I like that it matches the dipped grilles. It turned out alright, but not great. I will peel it and re-do if I decide I like it. There is some lines that aren't right. Taping around the corners is a real pain. I tried the dipyourcar.com method and got some runs. I peeled it and did one coat at a time, then heavy last coat and glossifier, then peeled. Now for some Depos! Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I really like that, @mwilson62000 - I was seriously considering doing this after see @chevywife's white Impala where she did the same thing - now my mind is made up for sure! I was going to get some black "covers" for the foglight area, but I think that Plastidipping them will basically give me the same (or very similar) results. Thank you very much for the pics! I think I'll skip the glossifier when I do mine though (I didn't use glossifier on my grills either and don't particularly like the "reflectiveness" on the foglight area in your pics).

Another thing to think about is that if I were to get the grill "covers" for the foglight area, I would think that they would reduce the amount of airflow through those holes (which, if I understand it correctly, that airflow helps cool the brakes & rotors). So, if I can get the black color look without adding any airflow restrictions, that's even better...

EDIT: When are you going to do the black "racing stripes"?!?! :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
1st off, no racing stripes for me!!! Lol.
I agree with you, I won't do glossifier on them when I re-do them. I used it on grilles so I thought I would on those as well. But like you said, I don't like the reflective look either. It's not as bad during the day though. Let me know if you do yours and how they turn out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dipped Fogs again

I peeled the dip on the fogs last night(didn't like the glossifier and had some messed up lines). Today, I tried again, peeled, then finally got it to where I like it and will keep it on. I gave up on trying to get a clean line with the tape and pulling while the dip is still wet since the fog opening's are curved and the corners just never turned out right. Instead I taped about a 1/2 inch around the whole opening(1st pic below). I dipped the normal spray a coat, wait 10-15 min, then another coat method. Did 5 coats total, then let dry for about an hour. I then used an exacto knife and VERY gently cut the dip just inside the opening edge. I peeled the tape and the dip cut perfectly around the opening at the cut line.:clap:

Attachments

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
That looks great. I am contemplating doing two large racing stripes on just the hood. But I'm thinking of the main stripe in the matte black plastidip and a 1/4 inch yellow stripe on the outside. Like Chevy wife's old steps but longer and black and yellow.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Went to Pep Boys to pick up a can of black plastidip and wow - they have a LOT of colors there!! Couldn't believe it - usually these retail stores have black, white and maybe a glossifier - but they must have had 10-15 different colors as there!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Huh, interesting. Haven't been to a pep boys, as there isn't really a convenient location to me. The local home depot has black, white, gunmetal, red, and blue. That's the biggest selection I've seen. I'll have to go check out a pep boys

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Yeah, I was really surprised. Just go to www.pepboys.com and search for "plastidip" - both stores I checked had about (16) different "varieties"... Was really surprised... The one I was at today even had some gallon-sized colors!

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Looks like they have the "blaze" line of dip colors. I refer to these as "highlighter" plasti dip. Google search blaze yellow wheels, and you'll see what I mean.

They also have the metalizers and pearlizer which is nice.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I was just thinking about the "smoke" color one too - I wonder if you could use that to "tint" taillights? It says its translucent... Would be really cool to be able to peel it off if/when needed! Although, I imagine it would look kinda "flat". I think I may try the Rustoleum tint soon for my taillights...

EDIT: Wow - don't like those "blaze" colors at ALL!

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
The smoke dip is not for tinting tails. It looks pretty bad. Fonzie did a video showing what it looked like, and explained why it was a bad idea.

The thing that it is useful for is turning chrome into a "brushed aluminium" look. Other than that, its kinda pointless.

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
I was excited that you said Pep boys had all of those colors. Little did I know thatthere are only 5 stores in Michigan. and I have always lived by one until now. I'm over 90 minutes from the closest. And I have chosen to switch from yellow to red or blue cuz I will not pay 12 bucks for shipping for a $8 product.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I peeled the dip on the fogs last night(didn't like the glossifier and had some messed up lines). Today, I tried again, peeled, then finally got it to where I like it and will keep it on. I gave up on trying to get a clean line with the tape and pulling while the dip is still wet since the fog opening's are curved and the corners just never turned out right. Instead I taped about a 1/2 inch around the whole opening(1st pic below). I dipped the normal spray a coat, wait 10-15 min, then another coat method. Did 5 coats total, then let dry for about an hour. I then used an exacto knife and VERY gently cut the dip just inside the opening edge. I peeled the tape and the dip cut perfectly around the opening at the cut line.:clap:
I honestly don't know how you guys do this plastidip stuff right! Besides my grill, I've had terrible luck with it. I spent all day today trying to get my front emblem white and the fog-light-holes black like @mwilson62000 and I failed miserably again! For the emblem, I tried putting pieces of index cards in the little gap between the chrome piece and the grill, along with some strips of painters tape (so I didn't get any white dip on my black grill). Dipped the emblem (and the chrome), let it dry, removed the index cards and cut between the chrome and the emblem with a razor knife (so I could pull the dip off the chrome and leave the emblem white). Didn't work because even cutting with a razor blade left ragged edges on the dip (brand new blade)....

For the fog-light-holes, I did the exact same process as @mwilson62000 - however, when i used a razor blade to cut the lines in the dip, they were either not perfectly straight or the cut left the edges of the dip that I wanted to remain that weren't "stuck" real well (and would have peeled off pretty quickly). Pulled it all off...

Arrgghh! What am I missing here?? Is an exacto knife sharper than a regular razor blade (from a utility knife)? I actually had much better luck previosuly using taped-edges and just peeling the tape while the dip was still wet (may try that method tomorrow for the fog-light-holes). The razor-blade just didn't work well for me (so hard to tell if you are cutting a straight line since you can't see the line you are cutting)...

Any tips on what i might be doing wrong?

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
You have to cut it when its JUST dry, and still very malleable. Once its fully dried, the razor will cause some jagged edges, and its not as easy to do.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts