Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
boy am i glad i saw this sticky ... been roaming around and wondering what was plasti dip ... now i wanna use it !!!
gonna try and do the window edge .... will post pics when done .... wish me luck !

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Been wondering what this PlastiDip stuff is! Never heard of it before a few days ago... Thanks for the info...

Still wondering though, what are the advantages/disadvantages over normal painting methods? Is it more durable? Is it cheaper or more expensive?

Just trying to figure out what the big deal is with this stuff! From what I gather, it's more durable and easier to do. But how does it compare cost-wise? Any other disadvantages over normal paint?

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It costs justbas much as a premium can of paint. Its so easy to put down a kid can do it. It will last forever if properly applied. Its all in the prep. Get some and go for it or visit dipyourcar.com for lots of q and a and how to videos.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
I think the main selling point is that unlike paint, it can be removed at any time with no damage to the original finish

·
Registered
21 Posts
The link to the plastidip site is broken anyone have a new link?
I really want to learn about plasti dip with my new impala but I'm not too sure where to start. :wink:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dipped trim and bumpers on my wife's Jeep today

So after getting my Impala and hearing about Plastidip for the 1st time a few weeks ago I've dipped the bowties and badges. Love the look. I've been battling the faded black trim on my wife's Cherokee for years. (its a 2000). Since the weather was so nice this weekend, I dipped the front and rear bumper ends and also the side trim. Wow. Jeep looks completely re-vitalized!! I'm curious on how plastidip holds up to fading, especially in the hot summer months? Looks good now though!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in New England so I didn't plasti-dip the wheels because I didn't think they would hold up. What are the thoughts out there and I think I want to cover all the chrome with black pasti what do ya think?

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
My uncle in Massachusetts has the step bars on his truck dipped, and its holding up fine for over a year and a half. And he's taken it offroad during that time

·
Registered
575 Posts
Question on plastidip with glossifier. With plastidip, if you want a clean line you pull the tape while dip is still wet after last coat. What if you are putting glossifier over the dip? Do you wait and pull tape after glossifier is on and still wet?

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Actually, you don't need to pull the tape after "every" coat. When I did my taillights, I only pulled the tape after the very last glossifier coat... Worked perfectly.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Make sure the last coat is nice and wet and heavy. It will partially reliquify the other coats so that the tape will peel smoothly.

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
I saw a video from Fonzi, that said if your taping off, you want to do 50% coverage first coat, followed closely like 45 seconds, with second, then third and forth, 45 seconds and glossifier, then peel while its all still wet.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts