Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '17 Impala. A couple of days ago the AC stopped working and the car had leaked quite a bit of bright green fluid on the garage floor.

I took it to the local dealership, and they said the evaporator needed replaced. They had to order the part, and they didn't know how long it would take to come in, maybe as long as a few weeks. Fortunately I am under warranty, and they gave me a loaner in the meantime.

How hard of a repair job is this? Looking around online, I couldn't find much specific to this car. For some vehicles this repair requires a pretty extensive teardown of the dash, which is concerning. I'm just wondering what I should look for when I get it back.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have a '17 Impala. A couple of days ago the AC stopped working and the car had leaked quite a bit of bright green fluid on the garage floor.

I took it to the local dealership, and they said the evaporator needed replaced. They had to order the part, and they didn't know how long it would take to come in, maybe as long as a few weeks. Fortunately I am under warranty, and they gave me a loaner in the meantime.

How hard of a repair job is this? Looking around online, I couldn't find much specific to this car. For some vehicles this repair requires a pretty extensive teardown of the dash, which is concerning. I'm just wondering what I should look for when I get it back.
I think the usual fear is that the dash will squeak. But I think that's more a 70's thing than a current fear. Still, there are lots of plastic fasteners in the dash that can lose some of their mojo with only a couple extraction/insertion cycles.

Basically, the car is built around the evaporator and heater core. Not really, but if you try to replace them, you'll think that :)

Seriously, I don't know why accessing these two pieces isn't a little easier. I'd like to think they could be located, and have an access panel, that lets them be serviced without so much teardown involved. That said, my 86 Mustang wasn't any better - that is, I'm not sure that evaporator/heater core replacement has ever been easy.

Doug

·
Registered
633 Posts
This is a hard job to do. The seats, center consol, and the whole dash has to come out. Then the case is removed, split in two and the faulty part is replaced.
Luckily I haven't replaced one yet, but my time is coming since there have been a lot of them failing in the 17's, but from what I've seen it takes a couple days to do. Unfortunately it doesn't pay the tech doing the job that much time. It only pays about 8 hours to do. Warranty unfortunately almost never pays enough..
The heater core on the other hand is a lot easier. The dash doesn't have to come out to replace that.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have run on to my first 2017 impala with a bad evaporator, looks like Chevy needs a recall , the. only autos with bad evaporator have been 1996-2009 dodge ,ram, trucks, this is the first GM sense 1996 to 2006 G6 Pontiac had evaporator problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
The evaporator on my 2017 also started to leak last month, I tackled the job myself dash and console had to come completely out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just posted a thread about this.

There is a special coverage regarding this issue but for some reason GM is telling me my 2016 Impala, which falls within all requirements listed under their special coverage bulletin, is not covered. Thus far they have given me no rationale for why that is so and have told me there is mo number for me to call to speak with anyone except their low level foreign call service reps.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im having the same problem on my 2018 model! 2,000 to repair that I don’t have!
See my post above.

Call GM customer service at 1-867-522-9559.

Tell them the evaporator core needs replacement and that GM has a special revision covering this issue. Provide them the revision # provided in my post. I am currently fighting with them over this issue. Make sure they give you a reference mumber for your case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done two, one sort of. Non-chevrolet. I put an AC in a vehicle from a box of new parts. 14 hours not including charging and getting a open end wrench to tighten a belt.`

Another time, oak leaves ate the evaporator core. Shop said we won't replace it. Too much time and money. I replaced it, pumped the system down. Checked for leaks and they charged it. 8-12 h,

I now have an EPA license.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts