Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. just thought hey lets change the color of my car.. so what would it approximately cost me to do an entire car color change over ? And would it damage its rust protective coating or can new color be painted over existing one ?

I like the mustang blue color a lot so was thinking maybe same color as that, so what would be involved in terms of budget ? Assuming i do not have the tools etc. how many gallons of paint will be required ?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Usually people forget that when changing the color of a vehicle alot is involved. They often miss the fact that interiors often have to be removed unless they are happen with interior door jams and under the hood being original colour.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Maaco....$500
Exterior only......$2-3k
Fully sand/prime/paint.....$6k+

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hes still working on one impala with 2 headlights lol
Just cause i have 1 headlight for a month now dont mean it will remain the same forever or will it :gaah:

gonaa pickup some cans of duplicolor (black) and paint the hell out of my rims and maybe the chrome strip at the back as well.. those cans are cheap $9 per can and 5 cans should do the rims. just worried painted rims might look awful ..and if they should be painted in subzero temps or when temps above freezing point.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Never paint at below zero. Second, painted rims look terrible. Plasti-dip in mild weather or you will be wasting money.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never paint at below zero. Second, painted rims look terrible. Plasti-dip in mild weather or you will be wasting money.
I see what makes painted tires look horrid ? Does plasti dip not chip easily ? yaa i think i will have to hold it till its summer in like 4 to 5 months time maybe than only i can do anything to the car.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I started a white/black interior before it got cold in the hopes I would be able to finish it before winter. I did not. I know it sucks having to wait for months to do a project because I have a half finished one taking up half my basement. Be patient and take your time and it will all work.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
lol take the wheels inside your damn house, lay down some paper and plasti them.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol take the wheels inside your damn house, lay down some paper and plasti them.
Hmmm.. but dont that stuff smell crazy and my basement aint a summer vacation spot either its where i put my coke to chill :giggle: .

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
What you do is go to your local craft store... things to buy is a gallon of elmers glue, 1 quart of crazy glue, air brush sprayer, food coloring of your choice, and nice shiny glitter. Mix all that in the sprayer,but MIX THOROUGHLY! And just spray the shit out of your car and you have a hella of a brand new paint job and car with a missing head light. Then cruise around and show it off. You will blow people heads off with that custom paint. :eek:k3: :lol:

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What you do is go to your local craft store... things to buy is a gallon of elmers glue, 1 quart of crazy glue, air brush sprayer, food coloring of your choice, and nice shiny glitter. Mix all that in the sprayer,but MIX THOROUGHLY! And just spray the shit out of your car and you have a hella of a brand new paint job and car with a missing head light. Then cruise around and show it off. You will blow people heads off with that custom paint. :eek:k3: :lol:
Omg enough with the darn missing headlight stuff.. i am already upset about the headlights taking eons to get here from USA. never figured USA's shipping services are so awful. After all i did not ask it to be shipped to the north pole.

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
its just facts. you are missing a headlight correct?. maybe you are better off driving to pick it up yourself. with the missing headlight you can get better air induction which result in better MPG and performance so you can get there faster :giggle:

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its just facts. you are missing a headlight correct?. maybe you are better off driving to pick it up yourself. with the missing headlight you can get better air induction which result in better MPG and performance so you can get there faster :giggle:
Not sure my mileage has suffered instead of 17mpg i am getting like 16mpg now a days.. i think its eating more fuel up cause its got lots of air to burn it with.

·
Classic-tron
324 Posts

hahaha i was totally going to suggest this too!! theres alot of youtube videos on tricks and trades of how people do it!! and if you dont like it, you can always peal it right off! i have yet to personally yes it, but ive been talking with a buddy, might do his truck sometime! :yahoo:

they also have diferent colors! check out their site! :eek:k3:
https://www.dipyourcar.com/

·
Banned
667 Posts
sure but you may have to take a trip to the DMV to request a color change on the registration other wise a cop may think it's stolen plates, plus it will give them a reason to stop you to give a "fix it ticket" ..

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also saw this :
but they did not entertain if it can survive -40C temps for 4 months or on and hail ? does hail not completely destroy the dip ? Not to mention the snow and slush on the road in winter the salt etc. if you dip your rims etc.

Would plasti dip withstand all that even after it cures say after 2 weeks of curing ? Once there is a nick in the dip i am guessing entire think will just come off easy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts