Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought a some what customized 1966 impala last year and decided to improve its looks a little. Turned into a huge can of worms do to a good sales guy and crappy mechanic (both the same guy). The car has an engine and trans from a 1993 camaro but it has a 4 barrel carb on it. The car ran and the ignition key worked when I bought it. Then this guy who I called to just clean it up a little and do a minor tune up suggested a whole rebuild and a frame off restoration was started. That part was fine but for some dumb reason, the guy cut all the wire harness out of the engine bay and also disassembled the ignition key circuits. Also the fuse block is broken now.
IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME WITH SIMPLE WIRE DIAGRAM I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. (The caps are just to stand out-not due to me yelling at anyone reading this thread.) My main goal is to make the ignition key start the car normally and also get the fuse block replaced and re wired correctly. If I can get the head light wiring done as well that would be a great bonus.
For now, I just got the car back from the painters house where it was stored for the past 3 months. I have been working out of town and had not had time to mess with it until now. The mechanic guy even cut out the voltage regulator for some reason and thats a problem I see because I dont know if the regulator was the origional 66 style or if it was from the 93 camaro motor. The car does not have an ECU if that matters. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank You

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
it may be worth it to get a whole new harness from painless performance. or take it to an electrical shop and have them deal with it. it may be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MixedImpala04. I'm not going to a shop yet as it seems like a simple circuit for the ignition circuit and the shop is going to charge 2 grand....and I just dont think its a 2 grand repair....even with parts and labor. There are 6 fuses on the fuse block and it seems simple to replace and its easy to get to. Same for the ignition key switch. If the guy told me it would be a grand for parts and labor I would probably do it. For now, I leased a local commercial shop 1200 sq ft, for 2 grand and I wanna finish the car there. I still need to put all the trim back on and mount all the head lights. And the bumpers are still off. The interior guy still needs to install the head liner but I wanted to wait until all the interior light wires were either replaced or are working correctly before the head liner goes back in. I can start the car with some mickey mouse hot wiring but I want it all wired correctly instead.
Yes I am spending more than I probably should in this project by leasing a shop but I just want it done right. I already screwed up with this crappy mechanic and I also did not listen to my painter when he told me December was not the time to paint a car but I told him to do it anyway. He did and the paint looks like some fly by night paint shop job. I also see there were many small dings that needed repair which I didnt notice and neither did the painter. I feel that the messed up paint job was all my fault but I think I'm going with a high end painter who I know will charge me about 8 grand to repair the dings and also re paint the car, but I wont have to remove the body again.
But before I spend more on paint or things like wheels and tires, I need to sort out the wiring. My plan is to try a wiring diagram from Impala Bobs and see how that goes. The high end painter I know may also be able to help since I know him and he runs the body shop for a chevy dealer. However, both ordering a diagram from Impala Bobs, or talking to my buddy at the dealer has to wait till Monday, so I was hoping I might find advice or help on this site.
Thank you for your advice about a repair shop and painless, but as of now, both of those are back up plans if I dont get it sorted out a little easier first. Again Thanks for the reply and advice.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
No problem man! I put a new harness from classic industries in my 65 impala and its awesome. Was only 290 and csme with all the diagrams and everything was labeled. Plug and play and very simple. Either way good luck man!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts