Impala Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 SS that gave me problems, so I put a engine it out of an 06 SS. Just so you know the 06 was in great condition i drove it to the shop for the extraction. So we put the 06 in, had my Chevrolet guy come out & code the key & it wont crank. It tries but wont crank. He suggested it could be a incompatibility with one of the sensors etc. We did notice some differences between the 06 & 07 like the intake etc. So we swapped all of the various sensors off the original harness , even down the coil packs. And still no Crank. She tries but just wont crank. Food for thought I did part compatibility checks on all parts for each online & I did notice that the ECMs are different in these models... Im about to just take it to Chevrolet which will cost somewhere near what my tuition was so ANY advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
125 Posts
Swaping just the ECM will do you no good. They are VIN programmed and you will need to swap out all modules that are VIN programmed like the TCM, BCM, and so on. If they dont all match the car will not run.

FYI You have a compatibilty problem that needs to be tracked down. Is the 07 engine a VVT and the 06 not maybe? That will mess things up in a hurry.

· That Guy!!
1,430 Posts
I learn something new everyday on this forum. Thanks Gootsoff!

I knew the ECM was vin coded, but didn't know about the other stuff.

· That Guy!!
1,430 Posts
Would a ECM swap along with a good tune to make everything match work?

· Registered
125 Posts
Check the RPO codes for both cars. Its not as simple as a tune. The modules are all programmed to the VIN of the car. If you dont swap them all they wont all match and the car will not run. If you swap just the ECU they will not match and the car will not run. You will then need to have the ECU programed to your VIN and the dealer will wipe out everything in the module and flash it with everything that is specific to your VIN and you will be right back to where you are now. You need to find out what the difference is between your 2 engines and send your ECU to have it tuned for that purpose while still leaving your VIN intact.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the RPO codes for both cars. Its not as simple as a tune. The modules are all programmed to the VIN of the car. If you dont swap them all they wont all match and the car will not run. If you swap just the ECU they will not match and the car will not run. You will then need to have the ECU programed to your VIN and the dealer will wipe out everything in the module and flash it with everything that is specific to your VIN and you will be right back to where you are now. You need to find out what the difference is between your 2 engines and send your ECU to have it tuned for that purpose while still leaving your VIN intact.
Swaping just the ECM will do you no good. They are VIN programmed and you will need to swap out all modules that are VIN programmed like the TCM, BCM, and so on. If they dont all match the car will not run.

FYI You have a compatibilty problem that needs to be tracked down. Is the 07 engine a VVT and the 06 not maybe? That will mess things up in a hurry.

My apology for the delayed response. For the record the 06 ECM wouldnt fit my 07 harness. Also we put the 06 motor & tranny in my 07, & used my original wiring harness & ECU/ECM. So I just took it to the Chevrolet Dealership & they got a P0336 code "ECM not sending signal to ignition coil" & said i have a bad ECM & advised i replace it & re flash it. You Sir seem to know more than those guys. So could you Please explain:

1. What "VVT" is so I can check that.

2. About the module programming, all of their names & locations, & How many are there?

3. When you say "find the difference" between my 2 engines? Are you referring to the RPO codes?

4. When you say have your "ECU tuned for that purpose", what purpose are you referring to exactly?

· Registered
125 Posts
Vvt variable valve timing. I wouldn't say I know more than the dealer. They could turn out to be rivht. Yes the rpo codes if they match you may just need an ecm. If the rpo codes are different you will need to find out why they are different. That will be your. Compatibility issue.

· Registered
2 Posts
My apology for the delayed response. For the record the 06 ECM wouldnt fit my 07 harness. Also we put the 06 motor & tranny in my 07, & used my original wiring harness & ECU/ECM. So I just took it to the Chevrolet Dealership & they got a P0336 code "ECM not sending signal to ignition coil" & said i have a bad ECM & advised i replace it & re flash it. You Sir seem to know more than those guys. So could you Please explain:

1. What "VVT" is so I can check that.

2. About the module programming, all of their names & locations, & How many are there?

3. When you say "find the difference" between my 2 engines? Are you referring to the RPO codes?

4. When you say have your "ECU tuned for that purpose", what purpose are you referring to exactly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts