Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out. I did some searching on this, but I have not found any answers as of yet...

I have a '03 Police Impala... runs great normally, but lately (every so often) it runs really rough when I first start it and eventually stalls within 10 or 20 seconds (really rough stall, still sitting still). It's happened when it's warm or cold out, and when the engine is warm or cold... but it only happens about 1 out of 10 times.

I find that hitting the surveillance switch (shuts off all external lights) causes it to keep running, but if I put my foot on the brake, it often cuts out again. Keeping the RPMs high doesn't help. Today, I tried driving it with all lights off, and it drove fine as long as I didn't use the brakes too much, haha... but when I turned on my hazards, it "jumped" every time they flashed. After a couple minutes of driving with the hazards off, the issue went away.

No codes or other symptoms I'm aware of.

From my (very) limited knowledge of cars, it seems like it may be a voltage regulator, no? I've tested the voltage regulator with the car running (when it wasn't experiencing the issue) and it stayed at 12.x - 13.x v, regardless of RPMs.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or anything else I should check? Should I just replace the alternator and see if that fixes it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
A friend of mine has a Mitsubishi Mirage and he's got the remote-key less entry thing...the thing is messed up so when he unlocks the car (with the key) and gets in to start the car, the thing would often shut down his car or even prevent it from starting, assuming that the car is supposed to be locked up and turned off...

They had it checked, apparently he just needs a new key. But until he knew that he was totally freaked out cause that was some weird shit haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response.

I've heard of issues with the security system and key with it not starting randomly with these Impalas... but when this happens, it is a really rough cut out, like it's not getting enough gas (or power?). Stepping on the gas hard can sometimes keep it running with the lights on (or shutting off all the lights fixes it almost immediately).

Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I've tested the voltage regulator with the car running (when it wasn't experiencing the issue) and it stayed at 12.x - 13.x v, regardless of RPMs.
Keep checking the voltage when the problem acts up and see what it is. It sounds like a short in the wiring circuit or even in the Body Control Module, I believe that your car has the Body Control Module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts