Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So lately my car (1970 impala with a 400ci chevy small block and 2 speed powerglide transmission) has been running a little rough. It idles just fine but when you try to get a little heavy on the accelerator, it like bogs out if that makes any sense. And it doesnt accelerate nearly as fast as it used to. Its fine when you are lightly accelerating but when you try medium to heavy acceleration, it just feels really rough. And if I put it in the low gear and take it a little high into the RPMs, it will backfire. I didnt know if maybe it is a distributer/point rotor problem or carb problem or even something in the block. Anyone got any ideas to this?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
How many post's are you going to make about this. When was the last tune-up done? When was the fuel filter last changed.?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sorry. I put it in the other thread but them i saw this one so i thought i would put it here too. I replaced the distributer in april and the plugs and wires were changed about a month and a half ago and the fuel filter was changed about 2 months ago

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Could be the accelerator pump in the carb. It gives it the extra shot of fuel when you step on it. Backfire is usually a timing issue. If you have a dwell meter make sure you are at 30 degrees, thats what I always used to run, book calls for 28-32. Make sure the cap is on tight. How old is the coil?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
honestly i have no idea. I havent replaced it at all and i have had the car since this last march

1 - 5 of 5 Posts