Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a '04 3.4L with 111 miles (180 km) Change the spark plugs about 2 weeks ago (installed NGK's) and about 4 days ago I changed my fuel filter because it was leaking.

So yesterday I started it up and it was misfiring BADLY so I just gave it gas to keep it at ~2000 RPM and after it 10 secs it ran good. So I drove off and after a while I realized that if I'd floor it from a stand still it would go off as "fast" as before but when I reached 25 to 37 MPH it just seemed that I'd be pulling a 5 ton trailer but after 40 MPH it would continue to accelerate faster.

I don't know about american impalas but mine has the biggest "power band" when I floor it from 25 to 35, the car would downshift and you'd be pushed back in your seat. But yesterday it just wouldn't downshift.

So, motor... or maybe the transmission?

Any other questions please ask

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Umm I think it could be moved to Performance or Drivetrain... sorry didn't think about it

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
So this problem only started after those services? I would re-check the plug wires to make sure they are in the right order and seated, re-check the plugs to make sure they are gapped right and seated. And make sure you didn't knock any vacuum lines or anything loose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok I have a '04 3.4L with 111 miles (180 km) Change the spark plugs about 2 weeks ago (installed NGK's) and about 4 days ago I changed my fuel filter because it was leaking.

So yesterday I started it up and it was misfiring BADLY so I just gave it gas to keep it at ~2000 RPM and after it 10 secs it ran good. So I drove off and after a while I realized that if I'd floor it from a stand still it would go off as "fast" as before but when I reached 25 to 37 MPH it just seemed that I'd be pulling a 5 ton trailer but after 40 MPH it would continue to accelerate faster.

I don't know about american impalas but mine has the biggest "power band" when I floor it from 25 to 35, the car would downshift and you'd be pushed back in your seat. But yesterday it just wouldn't downshift.

So, motor... or maybe the transmission?
Just an FYI. All gen 7 Impalas are made in Canada. We just have standard gauges, you have metric.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this problem only started after those services? I would re-check the plug wires to make sure they are in the right order and seated, re-check the plugs to make sure they are gapped right and seated. And make sure you didn't knock any vacuum lines or anything loose.
Well after I changed the plugs it ran great but its the first time that the problem is so major, yes before it would do something similar but a lot less "enhanced" (something similar to the "2005 Impala shaking")

And no I did not cross my plug wires, but I will check em to see if they are well seated, but I would doubt that's the problem

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've checked everything in the visual aspect of the engine, so whats next? Bring to to a garage and make em check what the engine light is all about?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Might also be a bad coil pack.

If it is. I have 3 extras that are all in great shape. Just pay shipping.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Auto parts store will read the codes for free, start there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Auto parts store will read the codes for free, start there.
Really?! Well haven't heard that over here in Canada, does anyone know if Benson Auto Parts do it?, or any other stores would do that?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Oh, canada (I'm not gonna start singing). I've never heard of Benson auto parts, but I've watched the show. I would call the stores and ask, thats probably the easiest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts