Impala Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agreed. Don't go throwing parts at it until you have it properly diagnosed with the proper equipment, otherwise you could be wasting hundreds of dollars. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 Impala LTZ Reduced Engine Power Message

My wife's Impala started acting crazy check engine light is on and reduced engine power,check traction control,check stabilitrak message is on.Car has no power and sometimes will barely crank.Took it to auto zone and the codes it gave were for bad MAP sensor.Will the MAP sensor cause all of this or is this a false code??:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: Also where is the MAP sensor located on the engine??

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok same thing has happened to me however it stuttered and then when i shut the car off it stopped and then never turned on again. the engine light came on along with service traction control. So how and where do i start for this do i look at all the wiring from the wheels itself or do i just look at the sensor somewhere else?

·
Registered
99 Posts
MY 06 has did all of the previously described at one point or another but also included the engine running rough with a sputter. I have the 3.9 motor I haven't had the problem lately though as the wife just drives it 8 miles to work and back daily.

We quit taking the car on 50 mile or longer trips anymore. We either use the Tahoe now or rent a car for $25+ taxes which come to about $31 and since I use my citi visa to pay for the rental they offer damage protection free and will pay my deductible if I have secondary insurance. Solved that problem.

I do have pictures of the codes it would throw and a short video of the engine running rough but I wouldn't know where to start to post them. Maybe the codes I got when I went to a Auto Zone and had the codes pulled while acting up could help someone. Auto Zone had a Actron code reader. I have a Innova 3160d myself.

The thing I dislike even about that is it don't show subfaults which the GM Tech 2 Tool will show as I'm currently having this issue with my vehicle regarding the airbags and have had it into Chevy and they pulled the codes and subcodes with their $2500 scan tool, told me what was wrong, I replaced the part with no resolution and when I realized it wasn't resolved I swapped it with the other side of the vehicle, a known good part and still had the same code as in the code didn't move so I'll be taking the car back to the dealer this week for them to properly diagnose the problem or give me my diagnostic fee back. $74 for a tech to give me the wrong diagnosis is bad. Knowing what I know I could've swapped the part myself but said I'll get a proper diagnosis and not play the part swap game. That was a bad idea I now see.

BTW if anyone needs schematics or certain repair information please pm me and I'll do the best to pull the information and/or diagrams, diagnostic procedures, etc from the 2 DIY websites I broke down and bought subscriptions to for 4 years which give me all this information. I have a 06 LT with the 3.9 V-6 but from what I've learned the 06-12 Impalas have compatibility. I did notice it also describes procedures for the other v6 and the v8 as well. Just one DIY'er willing to help and/or learn from another. I'll try to get a thread up soon for my B0085 issue I'm working with. Just saw this traction control stuff which I've very frustrated and ticked off have experienced myself.

I'm pissed to the point my wife's Impala will more than likely get replaced with a Toyota Camry in the future when the time comes hopefully sooner than later. Just waiting for that "hope and the change" to come thru first as I've been waiting since 08 with no luck yet, haha!

GM needs to quit riding the bailout attitude they had and start doing what's right for the customers who've massively experienced these traction control issues.

Maybe it's time for a class action lawsuit to force GM to fix these cars. They did it with a key issue so with this being a more serious issue up there with the likes of the Takata airbag recall. GM needs to get their head out of the sand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, I had the same issue with my 2008 last week. Same message "Engine power reduced" and "Service stabilitrak". I scanned the codes, P2127 and P2138. For me, the issue occured always when the car was cold, like when I first start in the morning. After driving 15-20 minutes, I turned the engine off, wait 30-45 seconds, start and no more message, car driving great. I have a friend who owns a scrapyard. I changed the throttle body assembly. The next morning, same problem. I put my old throttle body back. I went back to my friends and exchanged the throttle body for a fuel pedal assembly (it works with a sensor communicating with the throttle body). The next morning, problem is solved, no more engine power reduced or service stabilitrak. It seems that when you get only engine power reduced, the issue is with the throttle body, but when you also get the service stabilitrak message, the issue is with the fuel pedal. You can start by checking the connector, if it's in good state, no rust in it. It's pretty easy to get there, just look under the dash, on the top of the pedal. If you need to change the pedal, there is only 2 10mm bolts to remove + the connector. I paid 75$ for the pedal assembly. It's been a week and my problem never came back. http://youtu.be/IagzHYB3GHo Watch this video, I think it could help!! Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Engine power reduced + service stabilitrak

Hi, I had the same issue with my 2008 last week. Same message "Engine power reduced" and "Service stabilitrak". I scanned the codes, P2127 and P2138. For me, the issue occured always when the car was cold, like when I first start in the morning. After driving 15-20 minutes, I turned the engine off, wait 30-45 seconds, start and no more message, car driving great. I have a friend who owns a scrapyard. I changed the throttle body assembly. The next morning, same problem. I put my old throttle body back. I went back to my friends and exchanged the throttle body for a fuel pedal assembly (it works with a sensor communicating with the throttle body). The next morning, problem is solved, no more engine power reduced or service stabilitrak. It seems that when you get only engine power reduced, the issue is with the throttle body, but when you also get the service stabilitrak message, the issue is with the fuel pedal. You can start by checking the connector, if it's in good state, no rust in it. It's pretty easy to get there, just look under the dash, on the top of the pedal. If you need to change the pedal, there is only 2 10mm bolts to remove + the connector. I paid 75$ for the pedal assembly. It's been a week and my problem never came back. http://youtu.be/IagzHYB3GHo Watch this video, I think it could help!! Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 impala LS. I have also been dealing with "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" and "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL." It has been happening for 3 years now. It has been in 3 different Chevrolet dealerships to fix the problem in 6 different visits. It's funny how the dealerships point a finger at the previous Chevrolet service departments, yet they also fail at fixing the problem. It is now on it's 5th throttle body (including the original). Chevy has paid for two of the replacements. Also, I submitted paid service contracts to Chevrolet after receiving a letter from them. They reimbursed me for the services prior to the vehicle reaching 120,000 miles. I have changed the APP sensor, evap canister and several electrical connectors. Nothing works. The car has been great for 5 or 6 months after each new throttle body. The issue is the throttle position sensor, which is a component on the throttle body and is not sold separate from the throttle body. Apparently this is also a common problem on the silverados. Chevy came up with a replacement kit for the throttle position sensor on the silverados, but not on the impalas. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem kept occurring during slushy or rainy conditions, but that was several throttle body's ago. Now it happens during dry conditions. After driving 65 miles to work on the highway then idling for 10 min in the parking lot, it happens every day. I disconnected all the ABS sensor connections on the wheel hubs to check for continuity 0.0 ohms on front sensors. 1.06 ohms on rear wheels sensors. 8.73 ohms on wires to rear sensors. I thought I should have seen 0.0 ohms. Maybe that is the problem. After reconnecting sensors and starting the vehicle, the check engine light no longer came on.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I believe they say it is usually corroded or broken wires leading to the hub assembly or the gas pedal sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 LS that I bought a few months ago in February and back in early April I had the same problem. I was driving to school (college student here) and the "service stabiltrak, reduced engine power" light came on as well as the "traction control off" light. Lost control of brakes, acceleration, and power steering. Pulled off on the side of the road and it cranked up fine 20 minutes later. The check engine light stayed on for about 2 days until I cranked it up to go to the mechanic and it went off. I borrowed an OBD-II from my brother to pull the codes using the torque app and it read P-0068, which is the MAF/MAP. When I went to the mechanic, they said that a tiny piece of dirt could throw off the MAF sensor and not to worry about it.

So I drove it for about a month and took a trip 5 hours to Charlotte, NC. On my way back, the check engine light came on and the car started jumping/hesitating and would stop when I took my foot off the accelerator. It kept doing that off and on, so I got the codes read again and it showed the same code as last time, as well as P-0366. So I changed the air filter to see if it fixed the problem. Once again, the light went off and it was fine. It kept jumping at random times and the check engine light came back on during another 4 1/2 hour trip back from Asheville, NC.

The skipping/jumping/hesitating thing seemed to be more frequent, but it doesn't feel like a transmission problem (I've had issues with transmissions on other cars). On my way to work last Friday (less than 5 mi) it repeated the whole "reduced power, service stabiltrak" fiasco. I tried to crank it back up immediately but it wouldn't and made that whining sound like when your battery is dead. It cranked back up after 5 minutes and I continued to work. I figured I could chance it since work is so close and continue driving it the next day. On my way home Saturday night I was driving up a hill and this time it didn't display a warning or anything, the RPMs just dropped and the car went limp again. Like before, I waited 5 minutes on the side of the road and it cranked back up.

I've been reading up on this issue for a little while now and many of you have mentioned the issue being the throttle body or the accelerator pedal assembly or something. However, I have yet to find somebody who has had the same problem and read the same codes. The second code I think is referencing a misfire and I'm wondering if it's a simple spark plug fix. I'm at around 95,000 miles and due for new plugs anyway. I'm going to read the codes again as the check engine light has not gone off yet, but I'm curious to see if anyone knows what might be wrong.

I checked and I still have the 108,000 limited Chevy warranty or something so I wonder if a dealer can resolve the problem. But I'm also worried because the closest dealer is about 15 mi away and my car hasn't been making it more than 10 mi without this issue happening. And I'm not sure if I'm tearing it up by continuing to drive it short distances...

Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not trying to startup a old thread but I had the dreaded reduced engine power curse myself.Replaced MAF,MAP etc...Still continued getting flashing engine light followed by reduced engine power...Long story short..It was beak pedal sensor..the two little prongs came off from little peg on pedal...IDK that's what broke my curse..Hope it helps someone

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was reading this post and wanted to let you guys know that my 06 LT accelerator pedal was bad, but didn't throw a code. Replaced it and all is fine so go figure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
It seems this is a common problem.I have a 2007 Impala LT with about 107,000 miles. (All highway driving). Out of no where, while driving, the display says "Engine Power Reduced" and then switches to "Service Traction Control". Then just like everyone has stated, I have limited power, the check engine light comes on and so does the traction control light. I can drive the car to where I am going, but no acceleration. I shut the car off and a few hours later after I start it again, only the check engine light is still on, but no more messages and the car runs fine. About a day or two later when I start the car even the check engine light is off. No problems or messages, car runs fine. About a week of driving goes by and the whole thing happens all over again at some random time, then clears itself again.
Any advice to what the problem/fix would be? Also, if I go to the dealer and the lights are off with no messages, can they diagnose the problem? Is there a memory in the computer for past codes or does it have to be actually happening? Thanks for any help/advice.
I really prefer a big block with no computer and a carburetor!
I had this same problem with 2008 chevy impala just a couple days ago. I changed the throttle body and the gas pedal. Reset the codes and back to normal. The only issue im still having is the service traction control but the car is running fine and no traction control light on. Hope this solves your problem like it did mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
It seems this is a common problem.I have a 2007 Impala LT with about 107,000 miles. (All highway driving). Out of no where, while driving, the display says "Engine Power Reduced" and then switches to "Service Traction Control". Then just like everyone has stated, I have limited power, the check engine light comes on and so does the traction control light. I can drive the car to where I am going, but no acceleration. I shut the car off and a few hours later after I start it again, only the check engine light is still on, but no more messages and the car runs fine. About a day or two later when I start the car even the check engine light is off. No problems or messages, car runs fine. About a week of driving goes by and the whole thing happens all over again at some random time, then clears itself again.
Any advice to what the problem/fix would be? Also, if I go to the dealer and the lights are off with no messages, can they diagnose the problem? Is there a memory in the computer for past codes or does it have to be actually happening? Thanks for any help/advice.
I have this very same problem now. It’s said to be frayed wiring to the engine harness. Idk how much it’s going to cost; but it seems to be a recurring problem in all impalas. Bummer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
These are the codes i got for the same issue for my 07 chevy impala.
P1682
P0641

41 - 56 of 56 Posts