Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the radiator in my 2010 LT and when I removed the last bolt on the 2nd front motor mount the whole engine moved about 2" back toward the firewall. Scared the hell out of me. I think the alternator stopped it.

The rest of the job went normally and I used a couple of pry bars to pull the engine back into position to put the mount bolts back in.

No video/instructions I've read indicate this is normal. It seems the engine stays put for everyone.

My question is if this is something I should be concerned with or ignore? The car was on the ground and has not been in any major accidents that i know of, (I'm the 3rd owner). I have no driveability issues. I've learned ignoring things is not always the best policy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Were you are parked on a grade/slope with the trans in park. If so the dog bones take the torque of the parking paw. If you block the tires and put the trans in neutral before removing the dog bones it won't happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were you are parked on a grade/slope with the trans in park. If so the dog bones take the torque of the parking paw. If you block the tires and put the trans in neutral before removing the dog bones it won't happen.
Thanks Bill. The answer is yes and yes. It was in park and a slight grade to the rear, enough for it to roll on it's own. I didn't think thru the implications of that. If I ever have to remove the mounts again I will make sure there is no load on the paw. I was too busy filling my pants when it happened to notice if the car moved at all when the engine shifted but it may have.

Your answer explains it all and makes sense. I am comfortable assuming all is well and my engine is properly on its mounts which was my concern.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and teach me something new.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I had to replace the radiator in my 2010 LT and when I removed the last bolt on the 2nd front motor mount the whole engine moved about 2" back toward the firewall. Scared the hell out of me. I think the alternator stopped it.

The rest of the job went normally and I used a couple of pry bars to pull the engine back into position to put the mount bolts back in.

No video/instructions I've read indicate this is normal. It seems the engine stays put for everyone.

My question is if this is something I should be concerned with or ignore? The car was on the ground and has not been in any major accidents that i know of, (I'm the 3rd owner). I have no driveability issues. I've learned ignoring things is not always the best policy.

You can rock the engine forward to reach the three rear spark plugs and wires.

Park on level ground, apply the parking brake, block the wheels and with the engine turned off - shift into neutral. After disconnecting the upper engine mounts (and sometimes the air intake tube and air filter lid), you can “rock” the engine forward and secure it (which will enable more access to the firewall side of the engine).

Some years and models had a hole cast in one of the upper engine mounts and you could use the existing bolt to hold the engine forward. Or, you could use a ratchet strap or a turnbuckle tightened / loosened with a wrench (made for FWD GM vehicles). Do not simply block the rear of the engine with something, such as a wood block, that could be knocked-out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts