Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when I changed my oil that when the vehicle is being shifted into P,R,N, or D the motor rocks or twists. I've heard enough that it could be worn motor mounts but I'm not sure which ones need replacing or if that's even an issue.

can someone hook me up with info?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Take a look at the engine while somebody else is shifting it into D or R. Lots of top engine movement: upper mounts. Lots of bottom movement: bottom mounts. Any vibration while idling in drive or under acceleration?

Reactions: TSS

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you have a lot of movement I would just change them all. There is one Motor Mount on the Passenger side, There is a Transmission Mount on the Drivers side, Then there are the 2 top Strut Mounts on the front top of the motor. It can be hard to get a good look at the motor mount but with what you posted sounds like what loads of cars mounts act like when the mount is only being held by the Steel Pins. The rubber is most likely just gone... With that much play it is safe bet they are all past good...

Also you can look at the movement with just standing in front of the car and knee on the bumper and push the car back, IT will show you once you release the car what it looks like as it goes back to rest. This is on flat ground of course...

You can find a Hole kit most times for the cars for less then 80 to as high of 250 depending on the brand. I have done a few times a few different years of impala. Most times can be done in as little as few hours with out taking a break lol...

I will say, You don't want to drive your car long with bad Motor mounts. It can add wear on other parts in your car and make the end Repairs even more costly...

James

Reactions: TSS

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i noticed the movement in the top but i'll check out the bottom. and yes i have noticed a vibration

james, will i need a lift to do the bottoms or will i be able to do it with jacks?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just put the car on 2 car jacks and then used the Floor jack to lift motor enough to take out the mount... From what I hear you can do without unbolting both sides. However seeing I was doing both I had them both unbolted before I took them out. Then did one side a connected the nuts but didn't tighten them down and moved to the other side and lifted other side, removed, replaced and lowered once both sides was done I tighted up all nuts to finnish. This also seemed to help keep it so I could move enough to line up the mount to the holes when lowering...

Also the top mounts were apart while doing the swap...

James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts